T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was toying around with the adobe illistrator last night trying to get a feel for it. all the work i've done before has been raster imaging with ulead and photoshop. Originaly i thought i could save a file from photoshop as .psd file and open with the illistrator and save it into an ill file format for vector work and screen prining. think i found that this will only save it as a layered file and would be unusable because they need the fonts in curves.
So if I start a new image in the ill. and type in the font and bring in the clip art images that i've made with the other programs and get everything set up the same as i had it in the raster then change the font over to curves then save as an .ill format. this can be then used for screenprinting.

is my assumption here right or way the heck off?
I've never done any vector work. And from reading what is required by some of the vector art requirements from dif screenprinters I have a long way to go in learning what is required.
also is coral draw compatable with illistrator files?

Jock

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can use the trace function in Illustrator to convert a raster graphic into a vector. Typically it creates way more geometry than need be. I rarely do this. If I am adding a photograph to a design of ours I will do my photo layout in photoshop, save that image out as a photoshop file with an invisible background and place the photoshop into Illustrator using the place function. I am currently using the CS version of these apps. If you are using older versions of adobe apps you will need to create a clipping path in order to contour the shape of the image. Always start with a 300 dpi image in photoshop!

To truly understand Illustrator you need to get a feel for the bezier pen tool. Pick up a copy of Adobe Classroom in a Book for Illustrator. This is how I learned years ago. Understanding this tool is how I create artwork like this in Illustrator:

Sample Shirt

I am not sure if Illustrator will seamlessly import Corel files. If you can save out of Corel as a vector eps you should be able to import that with no problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, got something going on with it now. Your tips were a massive help.
Thanks a million.
I'll let you know if it works for them. They use corel draw but it referenced .il files so I'm hoping for the best. sure they will have something to say or charge if not.

DickTees.net said:
You can use the trace function in Illustrator to convert a raster graphic into a vector. Typically it creates way more geometry than need be. I rarely do this. If I am adding a photograph to a design of ours I will do my photo layout in photoshop, save that image out as a photoshop file with an invisible background and place the photoshop into Illustrator using the place function. I am currently using the CS version of these apps. If you are using older versions of adobe apps you will need to create a clipping path in order to contour the shape of the image. Always start with a 300 dpi image in photoshop!

To truly understand Illustrator you need to get a feel for the bezier pen tool. Pick up a copy of Adobe Classroom in a Book for Illustrator. This is how I learned years ago. Understanding this tool is how I create artwork like this in Illustrator:

Sample Shirt

I am not sure if Illustrator will seamlessly import Corel files. If you can save out of Corel as a vector eps you should be able to import that with no problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok got another question... how or what color would be used for a transparent background

·
Registered
249 Posts
mtn910 said:
ok got another question... how or what color would be used for a transparent background
I typically just leave the background blank. When the graphic people sep out the artwork there will be no color in the background. To get a feel for how the design will look on a specific color I usually create a layer of color then create a seperate layer for the design to exist. That way if you are cutting portions of the design out for the shirt color to show through you will get a good idea of how this is working and how it will look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok here are the 101 Basics , seems you are half way there. there are two types of Computer graphics, Post script er Vector and Bit-map or Raster.

Vector graphics can be bit maped to any resolution, Bit-maps are resolution dependand. they are a bunch of small squares While vectors are mathmatical curves. Make sence?

Photoshop files can be saved as vectors!! this shocked the art community in the eighties as they did not know Photoshop did vectors! Illustrators new Vector trace works really great but if you only have Photoshop, do this ( a Trick sence version 2.5

select your graphic, go to the Paths Pallet, select the side triangle and to Make work path!!!! Best vector trace ever!!! well till Illy CS2

I can niehter deny or confirm I betta test for any companies discussed;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Duh, you need to then go to FILE/EXPORT/PATHES TO ILLY and save!!!!
or you can get Haynes t-shirt maker software as an upgrade to Kid-pixs. Bwaahhh hahahahahha. Ok I date myself :-(

·
Registered
8 Posts
mtn910 said:
One thing to remember: In Illustrator, using white doesn't mean white ink. White translates to 'no ink at all'. If you want an area transparent (where the shirt will show through), then use white to achieve that. If you actually want to print white, you need to create a spot color. Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts