T-Shirt Forums banner

Total transfer to Firebird Ink in MP5

17509 Views 94 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  inkrunners
So, I did a total change to all Firebird ink on our MP5 and we have been impressed so far! We did a complete flush then added the ink.

I know that someone had questions several weeks ago about this so I am posting and will continue to post my findings, to include wash & wear results.

I have had a slight hiccup but this may be due to my first set of prints out of the box. I printed an image with a white underbase and red/black colors image. I prepped the 100% preshrunk cotton with Image Armor, and I don't think that IA is the problem but I could be wrong. The black had random white specs throughout parts of the image. I will show the pic here. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem.

I follow up and printed a colorful frog with no issues and it looked Excellent and vibrant. I prepped this with IA also, hovered for 10-15 secs before pressing for 60 seconds, just like the first image printed. So, I'm at a loss.

Also, I remember someone saying that there is a kind of alcohol type odor, and I do smell this even after the shirt has been 2 hours post heat press. I could only think that this would be a drawback during shipping, when it is couped up for several days in a box. Not sure if anyone using Firebird ink has noticed this.

The first set of images shows the white specs within the black ink. The next image of the frog will show the great vibrant colors that the ink produced on one pass.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 2
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
So, I did a total change to all Firebird ink on our MP5 and we have been impressed so far! We did a complete flush then added the ink.

I know that someone had questions several weeks ago about this so I am posting and will continue to post my findings, to include wash & wear results.

I have had a slight hiccup but this may be due to my first set of prints out of the box. I printed an image with a white underbase and red/black colors image. I prepped the 100% preshrunk cotton with Image Armor, and I don't think that IA is the problem but I could be wrong. The black had random white specs throughout parts of the image. I will show the pic here. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem.

I follow up and printed a colorful frog with no issues and it looked Excellent and vibrant. I prepped this with IA also, hovered for 10-15 secs before pressing for 60 seconds, just like the first image printed. So, I'm at a loss.

Also, I remember someone saying that there is a kind of alcohol type odor, and I do smell this even after the shirt has been 2 hours post heat press. I could only think that this would be a drawback during shipping, when it is couped up for several days in a box. Not sure if anyone using Firebird ink has noticed this.

The first set of images shows the white specs within the black ink. The next image of the frog will show the great vibrant colors that the ink produced on one pass.
The specs on the print is a common minor issue when the curing paper moves on top of the print before heat pressing. I've had it happen many times.:)
Reactions: 1
Wow! This is exciting news! Looking forward to trying this ink, looks like your results have been great! Thanks for sharing!
How much image armor are you laying down (and how did you apply it)? I did not get really consistent prints until I switched to the Firebird pretreatment.

But, I am in agreement with you on the quality of the colors coming out of my MP5, in particular whites on black look pretty damn amazing.

I have not had a customer complain about a smelly shirt yet and I can only imagine that it goes away in the wash ( the smell). It does build up in the room I am curing in though.

How much image armor are you laying down (and how did you apply it)? I did not get really consistent prints until I switched to the Firebird pretreatment.

But, I am in agreement with you on the quality of the colors coming out of my MP5, in particular whites on black look pretty damn amazing.

I have not had a customer complain about a smelly shirt yet and I can only imagine that it goes away in the wash ( the smell). It does build up in the room I am curing in though.
You might want to get some type of ventilation if you haven't already. Stuff maybe harmful to breath.
I keep the door open during the day. On occasion I turn our AC units fan on in the room to try and circulate air.

I am wondering if i am hastening my own demise with this stuff sometimes.

The crap I do for money,

You might want to get some type of ventilation if you haven't already. Stuff maybe harmful to breath.
To be honest I see the small totaly gone after 2 - 3 hours.

Solvent transfers smell a lot worse BTW!

Dan, I unfortunately don't have one of the nice auto pre-treatment machines yet but I've been doing a pretty good job manually(Wagner sprayer). So I don't have an exact measurement for you on that. For right now, I lay down two even coats, then use a roller to help lay down the fibers before putting it in the press to dry it.

I'm washing some shirts now to make sure that the light smell goes away with washing but the color pop has a noticeable difference.
That's pretty much the way I have been pretreating, although oddly enough I found the the Firebird pretreatment works better WITHOUT a roller.

Maybe just me.

Dan Vado
That's pretty much the way I have been pretreating, although oddly enough I found the the Firebird pretreatment works better WITHOUT a roller.

Maybe just me.

Dan Vado
I have not tried or switched to the firebird pretreatment yet. Do you like it better than Image Armor?
I noticed that the whites with Firebird dark are outstanding.

However the firebird light stuff does not seem to play well with white, at least for me.

It is possible I was not applying enough Image Armor, I seemed to never get that pretreatment dialed in.

DV
I wasn't using enough Image Armor at first but since learned to add a little more but not have it puddle, then it was fine. Just wanted to get your take on the firebird pretreatment versus image armor.
It costs the same per bottle, however I am on the west coast so gettin gthe Firebird PT is actually more expensive. I seem to need less though. It is also much sticker feeling, which is maybe a good thing and has a faint sort of Elmer's glue smell, at least to me. Still better than the putrid zombie smell that the Anajet PT builds up over time. You also do not need to shake it up as much as the IA, which is not a big deal for people using a Wagner, but if you have a pre treatment machine keeping the IA stirred up can be something of a hassle I imagine.

One thing I noticed about the Firebird ink is that my wiper blade seemed to be getting stuck. I have to really soak the entire assembly every now and then to make sure it moves back and forth properly. Never had that much of an issue with Dupont.

Still not sure what the long term effect on the printheads might be, but the MP5
Oh I did hear that about the Firebird PT, that it limited some mobility in the wipers on several machines. I may give the FB PT a try down the road.

Well I'm about to complete a wash cycle of my first batch of test shirts to see if the smell has gone away, and to see how the ink holds up. I'll post pictures of it later.

Has anyone had any luck with Maxbright or Maxcolor pre-treatment? It is cheaper and claims that it will brighten all colors.
Dan,

I don't run an anajet but I am on the west coast as well and do get all my firebird inks and pretreats from DTGPRINTERPARTS.COM. Much nicer than having to wait a week. ALso no shipping charges if I order enough and usually get the stuff next day. I know they did have the anajet FB inks for awhile but not sure if they still do. You would have to talk to Anthony about it. Very proactive on customer service.
I do buy Firebird from Anthony, however he seems not as keen on the stuff and does not have it on his website. In terms of long term supply I am looking t ohave to buy from FB.

To be honest, I mean I love the results, but just today I had the worst banding and it took me forever to get it clear. Wasted a lot of ink and shirts. Not saying it is the ink or the pretreat, but I am just paranoid about this stuff going through my $30,000 printer.
Dan,

I don't run an anajet but I am on the west coast as well and do get all my firebird inks and pretreats from DTGPRINTERPARTS.COM. Much nicer than having to wait a week. ALso no shipping charges if I order enough and usually get the stuff next day. I know they did have the anajet FB inks for awhile but not sure if they still do. You would have to talk to Anthony about it. Very proactive on customer service.
Anthony is the BOMB!!!! ;)
Reactions: 3
Just in the interests of completeness, Ken from Firebird contacted me today and offered to help me out with the banding situation. He also mentioned that they were going to be tweaking their formula so that the ink all over the wiper blade issue (which is what causes the banding) is less of an issue while retaining the sixty second cure time.

Good people, those Firebird folks.
Good to hear
Words of wisdom. The firebird ink WILL cause your heads to overheat and start to cause an electronic band. Then total failure after. This will only take place after a substantial amount of prints. Thousand of prints. Not hundreds
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.