T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to keep this pretty simple
I want to print t shirts with heat transfers that I can buy and make my own with a printer. Have beem looking at presses, but I need advise on a printer. I dont want to go sublimation, inkjet I guess. Have found hundreds of transfers but stil want to make mt own as I have a graphic artist for basically free. tks On the printers I need to know name and maybe your opinion on them

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would suggest the epson 1400 it gives you the ability to do wide format transfers. It comes with Claria Hi-def Inks or you can later get pigment inks. The price is about $400.

Hope that helps?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
You can get a refurb for $144 at epson.com. I have a few refurbs from there are they work perfectly for me.

Here is a link for you:
Epson Stylus Photo 1400 - Refurbished, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Most folks have great success with "Claria", a handful do not. They like "pigment ink" because of it. ONe pigment ink is "Durabrite". It comes in the C88 and C120. Most folks have great success with it, but alot of folks get "color hifting". For more info, you can search the terms I have quoted for you, it will return pertinant threads on those things.

You didn't mention paper, have you chosen that? Paper and shirt will make as much difference to your product as the ink.

Jetprosofstretch is great. it's for lights/white shirts.
Ironall dark and JetWear are really good for dark shirts and popular here on the forum.

Shirts should be between 100% and 50/50 poly cotton fabric content, and should be preshrunk.

Here are some links to heat pressing step by step.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400 - Refurbished, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Do you have a press? If not, you can get away with handironing, with a huge investment in time and labor. Presses are super nice and give really great consistant results. Not sure about all this extra info, if you need it or not, but if you did, well, it's all good then. Have a great day, good luck and....

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you can afford to get a printer the uses Epson UltraChromeK3 inksets you'll be much happier in the long run.
Durabright and Claria inks are consumer grade - they're mediocre at best . UltraChromeK3 is a professional inkset that has a much higher archival quality and perfect grey balance out-of-the-box with three black inks.
The Epson R2400 is a wide format printer that uses the K3 inks and can be had for slightly more than the 1400 on the used market.
I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yeah, but Hwy, with all due respect, these images are going onto cotton shirts, not photographic paper, so some of the quality you pay more for gets lost in the weave so to speak.

Also, after buying the printer, most folks switch to a 3rd party ink in this biz to save money on ink costs .... using re-fill cart systems or bulk ink systems. If one is doing any decent volume, it's just too expensive to use the OEM carts anyway.

The printers you mentioned are most definitely in use here on the forum, folks do choose them, but if someone doesn't have, or want to spend the extra bucks.. these other printers get the job done just fine. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have purchased a press and plotter from Sunie (to see if this is all worth it) Plan to upgrade later if all goes well. Purchased the epson 1400 refurb and an ink system, seemed like the best option. Purchaes t shirt factory yesterday and now have to experiment with that. Any other suggestions? tks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts