T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I might bring up the top 5 design lazy mistakes on t shirts and see what everyone's top 5 design slacker thoughts are.

Here are mine...

1. Quoted tshirts with just text and nothing else
2. Rushed art work that clearly looks crappy
3. Bad printing or peeling heat transfers not ironed properly
4. Off centre or crooked printing
5. Tshirt printed on a lesser quality and clearly crappy tshirt because they ran out of stock of the decent type shirts

Whats your top 5 lazy design mistakes?

;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
i'm really glad to see this post. i'm starting a new company and i'm a writer, not a visual artist. my shirts will be slogan-based, but i don't want them to look like every other shirt out there.

do you guys know of a good designer who is reasonably priced? (i'm not at all sure what "reasonably priced" is. can anyone help?) i wanted to get started quickly, but i really don't want to have crappy shirts with the mistakes you mentioned/others will mention. i don't want them to look like i just slapped a slogan on them. i'm hopefully building something here, so i don't want to mess it up by having run-of-the-mill shirts.

also, if the design is good, then can things still be messed up in the screening process? we ordered a silk screening machine and the person doing the screening has done screening in school but other things besides tees. he is confident he can do it. so i'm wondering if the design is good to go, can he mess it up when screening?

biting my fingernails as i'm typing this. :)

thanks!

veggie

·
Registered
180 Posts
Almost all of my t-shirts are text only and I am proud of them. I like to think that I paint pictures using words. Creating new sayings that are funny, relevant and original does require some degree of talent, aka.

"I use profanity the way Picasso used a paint brush."

Some of mine have a twist on an old saying...

Fool me once, shame on you;
Fool me twice... I'll smack you!

The old saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words. I have thought of 100+ of these that average less than 10 words each and I think that's pretty good.

Yeah, I'm a little touchy on the subject but, oh well. I haven't made a fortune yet but I do believe in my concept and that sales will continue to grow.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Everyone is going to make a mistake sometime in production, selling, creating art etc. I cant tell you how many times I forgot to reverse the image before I cut a cad-cut vinyl design. Hell..I just pressed a group of car club shirts and printed a sleeve logo on the wrong side.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Bob, I'm glad you brought this up (I didn't want to be the one to start any trouble).

I also agree that having a shirt that is text-based isn't lazy. I have quite a few of them.

I even have what I call a "Definition Collection", where I have different words with an "in-your-face, REAL-WORLD" definition of some motivational words.

One of my best sellers is my "Perseverance" shirt.

Different people like different things. If you are keeping your market in mind and your market likes your products, then "lazy" I think is the wrong word to use to describe text-based shirts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
SpacemanFL said:
Almost all of my t-shirts are text only and I am proud of them.
I second that. In fact, when you watch people on the street, it seems that more have only text on their T-shirts than graphics. People like to make statements.

I too think there is still a lot of room for growth for text-only tees. You just have to be really creative.

In fact, so creative, that your bigger competitors will steal your idea. It happened to me the other night. A totally unique idea I put on my site at night appeared on another site that following morning.

I'm flattered. And impressed at how fast they work!

Anyway, stick to your concept. There is a market for it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i'm personally not a fan of text shirts, probably because i like making graphics- but the style of text that is used and the placement of the shirt is what can make or break it for me... especially text in an arch. that's just lazy and unimaginative to me.

and... again, the wrong typography for what is trying to be conveyed.

let's see... overly colorful or complicated design work. 10+ colors doesn't equal good, interesting design work.

rehashing ideas and images that have been done for a while. like the whole organic, scrolly images/florals paired with distressed "fancy" text. ugggggh. i no mas, no mas!

work that looks rushed- we're all in a bit of a hurry to get our stuff out to the public, but take your time and make it look fabulous!

...those are in no particular order, by the way. just a list of 5 pet peeves.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fluid said:
incorrect spelling

Pepsi just goofed on a 25,000 t-shirt order for the University of Florida. They are reprinting the shirts with the correct roman numerals - ouch
Fluid hit it right on the money....probably biggest cause for re-Printing... I recently had a customer that brought me an old shirt that was printed somewhere else and asked me to copy it... 200 shirts..... I copied it exactly as it was....and after they were delivered I got a call back that it had the old Phone number ... It never was mentioned that the phone number had been changed since that old shirt had been printed... LOL BTW I didnt Re-Print the order they acknowledged that it was their mistake...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
zagadka said:
i'm personally not a fan of text shirts, probably because i like making graphics- but the style of text that is used and the placement of the shirt is what can make or break it for me... especially text in an arch. that's just lazy and unimaginative to me.

and... again, the wrong typography for what is trying to be conveyed.
Agreed. A text-only shirt isn't in itself lazy, but if you're using the same font and size for every text-only shirt you make, THAT is lazy.

When we make a textual shirt, we look through a ton of typestyles before deciding on the one we actually want to use for it (there's been at least one or two that we took pieces from multiple fonts). Appropriate text size is also design based. Still doesn't take the same effort as a cool graphical design of course, but I think it's good to put at least some effort into the text stuff =)

As far as other mistakes go (not exactly caused by laziness as such, just not paying attention) - pressing the transfer upside-down. Granted, I haven't done this a lot (maybe twice?), but it is something to pay attention to!

Another would be getting distracted while you are counting away the press time in your head ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
One other point on the "text only" discussion: a lot of it has to do with what the market wants. I have designed shirts that I love and a couple of text only in the Wendy font. My market wants simple and clean . . . and sometimes that means text only.

If you want to sell, you have to keep your market in mind.

Alicia

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
zagadka said:
^that's true, i think many of us are in different markets- probably markets that reflect our own personal tastes.
Largely, I think that's true. And that is certainly part of the appeal of this industry - we can make stuff that WE like. For example, I don't make anything using opaque transfers partially because of the rubbery feel, which I don't like (and don't expect my customers would like). However, other people do indeed like this feel, and market them to customers that also like it.

My partner and I have a pretty good, balanced set-up for this I think. We are interested in different stuff and are appealing to different markets with our designs, but there is some crossover and we're good at different things. I handle all the website stuff, looking up information, etc. while she keeps things organized, has various contacts that want her type of shirts, etc.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Twinge said:
I handle all the website stuff, looking up information, etc. while she keeps things organized, has various contacts that want her type of shirts, etc.
that is very important. knowing who does what and using your staff to its full potential.

I do mainly research, so you would not see me working in the shop. I do need to know the basics of how the shop works and a bunch of other aspects of the biz.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Alicia said:
One other point on the "text only" discussion: a lot of it has to do with what the market wants. I have designed shirts that I love and a couple of text only in the Wendy font. My market wants simple and clean . . . and sometimes that means text only.

If you want to sell, you have to keep your market in mind.

Alicia
interesting point. alicia, may i ask what your market is? i mean, the one that likes simple and clean and text-only? i'm just trying to get an idea of the type of market this kind of shirt would appeal to. please share if you can.

thanks!

veggie

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
vegbyrd said:
interesting point. alicia, may i ask what your market is? i mean, the one that likes simple and clean and text-only? i'm just trying to get an idea of the type of market this kind of shirt would appeal to. please share if you can.

thanks!

veggie

very, very, good question veggie ?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
vegbyrd said:
Simply put: Every market. Some more than others of course, but fairly simplistic text-only t-shirts will appeal to a VERY wide array of people - as long as you have the right message =)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts