T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, what am I doing wrong? I've read about a million tutorials, and I can't get this right. First off, I'm using the Speedball Diazo emulsion, and a double 500W halogen lamp set. I coat both sides of the screen (11"x14") with emulsion, and I leave it propped up in the tub to dry (door closed, no windows, no lights, towel under the door to stop light) and leave it to dry for 3-4 hours (I think that's my problem, maybe let it dry over night?). The room is approximately 70 degrees and only 30% humidity. Then, I take my screen, lay it on a black towel, put the transparency on, and glass on top of that. On go both lamps, at approximately two feet away. Leave it that way for 15 minutes, and then I go to spray the screen. It starts off good (I have to use the shower, and I use warm water), but a little slow, then it very quickly starts getting worse. All of the emulsion starts coming off. It comes off more readily where it's been blocked by the screen, but it comes off nearly the entire thing. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
You are under exposing. Did you take the glass off the lights on your halogen. Where did you get the glass for your screen. If the glass is on the lights the remove and retry. If the glass on your screen has UV filters in it you can use it you'll just have to do a step wedge test to find your exposure time. 2 ft sounds a little too far away also. More like 16-18"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The glass I put on top doesn't have UV filter. I got it at a glass place for $4.00 and made sure it did not filter UV rays (the guy looked at me like I had to heads, but ensured me it did not). I will try removing the glass from the lamps, set my fan up, and get the lamps a bit closer. I'll report back late tonight!

Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cant do it with a shower head, not enough pressure. The reason the emulsion comes off eventually is because you are putting so much water on it for such a long time it becomes wster logged. I wish folks stop treating their screens like vampires. The gime it takes you to walk your screen outside to a hose with sprayer trust me the sun will not expsose your screen.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Rhode if exposed properly not over exposed you are fine. I use low pressure and I have a pressure washer in my shop. Only use it for reclaiming and my hose is on very low maybe less than your shower head. Ok if you have diazo emulsion sure you can washout side but if you did you could wet down first then take outside lowers the chance of exposing or making it harder to wash out. Rhode you have diazo wet screen let sit 1-2 min the wash out

If you use photopolymer and you walk outside with your screen you are screwed even on a shady day. It takes a few seconds to expose a screen with this type of emulsion. I had to add this cause there has been many people read post like above and walk outside try to wash out and it will be a no go. There are several recent threads on this.

My motto is not to get into bad habits if your are walking outside with screen and as time progresses you start doing fine detail and halftones those areas will be easily over exposed cause they do get partially exposed already. If your doing spot colors and dont need very sharp edges then this will work but your edges will start to expose and you may end up with some dull edges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it turned out way better. It was a combination D3L0C4T3D said (in the water too long), and sben763 said (under exposing). I brought the lamps closer, and let it do its thing for 22 minutes. It worked good (could have probably gone another minute or to on the exposure), but I had it under the shower head for too long, so a couple spots came down/tore. But I managed to get them back up. Currently back under the light to help it dry a bit. I also dropped my lamps on my glass and broke that:mad:.

Next time I'll give it another couple under the lights and a little less under the shower head. I'll look into attachments for the shower.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Did you remove glass from lamps? Keep at it. It takes sometimes to take a bit to get nailed down. Then it just gets better.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
No. The screen won't hold up to much if any printing at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I went ahead with the folds. Ended up taping them up. I just wanted to actually make something, so I tried my design on some two crummy shirts. Just a quick and dirty practice. What actually let me down was not having it on a hard surface, that's what caused the bad lettering. I had it on cardboard. Next time I'll be sure to do it on a table.

Far, far, far from perfect, but I'm finally glad I've got something!

Now to go back, re-do the screen, and then hopefully get a better couple of shirts!

Here is one of them... crummy cell phone pic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.