T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to silk screen printing. My first design is a simple one color- black on a white tee.
My problem is that too much ink is seeping through- granted the tee is not ultra-thick but I can see the design on the back on the shirt through the front side.
Is there anyway to lighten up the amount of ink?
Am I using too much ink? Am I applying too much pressure while spreading the ink? Am I using the wrong ink type?
I am using 110 white mesh aluminum screens and Green Galaxy Water Based Ink.
I am open to ALL suggestions/youtube videos.

THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would try using a higher mesh screen or going with a plastisol ink. if you're printing water based ink through a 110 you'll be putting down a LOT of ink.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Almost all inks will tell you what mesh count to use either in the sellers item description, or on the distributors website under the tech-specs. For Green Galaxy Black it's this:

Mesh Guidelines:
Can be used with any mesh between 156-305.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I've used that ink in 156 and 200, and wouldn't use it with under 200 going forward. Permaset Aqua ink is a bit thicker, if you prefer (their regular waterbase, not even talking SuperCover).

That said, you should judge the print by how it looks when WORN! People are not transparent, so light will not be shining all the way through the shirt when worn--as it does when you hold the thing up to look at it. Unless the ink is actually bleeding all the way through to the platen when you print, I'd say that you don't actually have a problem.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
All the above mesh related answers apply.
Also, check your off contact. The screen should be flat to the platen when using waterbased ink.
Are you pulling too much ink across the screen every time you print? Check out some you tube videos about flood coating. You should be pre-filling your image area with ink (flood coat), and the print stroke is used simply to put that ink to the garment.

Ryonet have some good online videos, if you can tolerate the sales pitch, or check out the Catspit Productions channel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the above mesh related answers apply.
Also, check your off contact. The screen should be flat to the platen when using waterbased ink.
Are you pulling too much ink across the screen every time you print? Check out some you tube videos about flood coating. You should be pre-filling your image area with ink (flood coat), and the print stroke is used simply to put that ink to the garment.

Ryonet have some good online videos, if you can tolerate the sales pitch, or check out the Catspit Productions channel.
Thanks!! I will try that!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used that ink in 156 and 200, and wouldn't use it with under 200 going forward. Permaset Aqua ink is a bit thicker, if you prefer (their regular waterbase, not even talking SuperCover).

That said, you should judge the print by how it looks when WORN! People are not transparent, so light will not be shining all the way through the shirt when worn--as it does when you hold the thing up to look at it. Unless the ink is actually bleeding all the way through to the platen when you print, I'd say that you don't actually have a problem.
You are right!! That makes me feel better lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts