T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Stoney here.
I own a new 15" X 15" Digital heat press, I just got 3 Teflon sheets 16" X 20", I purchased a roll of Parchment paper, I just got 4 different types of Inkjet transfer paper, 2 types for Light Colors, and 2 types for Dark Colors... Now I have yet another question. I have searched the forums and found bits and pieces answers to these questions, but none that have addressed my actual quandary ? I need to know the difference between the finished product look of using a Teflon sheet over an InkJet transfer for Light colors and Parchment for the same transfer, using the standard mirror image ? Part two of this question, I need the EXACT same question answered for using Teflon and Parchment over an Inkjet transfer for Dark colors ? Also, I need the exact process step by step for doing all 4 transfers. 2 with Light colored transfers for Teflon and Parchment, and 2 for Dark opaque transfers with Teflon and Parchment. I have seen many answers posted stating that Teflon gives a sheen and Parchment gives a Matte finish ??? To what ??? And how ??? Is the Teflon being used over the FRONT of an Opaque transfer for Dark colors ? Or over the BACK of a mirror imaged transfer ??? I can find bits and pieces of answers, but nothing that tells me the whole story ? I need to know what's used and how it's used to make a decision about what I need to do. I realize the most widely given bit of advice here on the TSF is " Experiment, see what works best for you. " But there has to be a base line or starting point that yields the same results for everyone, just to varying degrees ? I mean, Parchment will do the same thing to your Opaque transfer as it will to mine, just to a greater or lesser degree depending on how much pressure, heat, dwell time, etc. but the end " look " will be the same. So how do I use Parchment and Teflon with these transfers to get these different finishes ? I hate to be a pain in the butt, but ( no pun intended ) these are things I need to know.Thanks for your input in advance. God bless...
Dave
PS I had some Avery paper for Light colors that I needed to blow off for experimentation. I got some info. off the Forum about temps., time, and pressure. I tried 350 degrees medium pressure, and 20 seconds.. The shirt came out GREAT !!!! I guess some of that " Home Iron " paper will work ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe
But is it me.. or am I not really seeing an answer to MY questions in the thread ? As I stated initially, I'm seeing bits and pieces answers, but nothing actually narrowed to my specific questions. Thanks and God bless...
Dave

·
Administrator
14,492 Posts
They both basically serve the same purpose; to protect your upper platen from ink mistakes. Parchment is cheaper, but only lasts a few presses. I use teflon. Have had it the since I bought my press 2 years ago.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe
Thanks, I have both Teflon and Parchment. So I guess it's experiment, experiment, experiment ? We have an 8 hour gig today, I better get going. God bless...
Dave

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Dave....probably still not the answer your looking for but, we use coated parchment to cure our DTG prints and teflon to cure heat pressed vinyl. The reason is that when curing DTG prints depending on the coverage (amount of ink being applied) sometimes there is a transfer of ink to the paper we wouldn't want to use teflon and miss seeing the ink that was transferred and take a chance of ruining the next shirt by using it again. (yea you can wipe it off the teflon sheet if you happen to see it)

Like Joe said the parchment is cheap last for a few presses, while a 16x20 teflon sheet is a little on the pricey side to buy but as stated also lasts for years.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey John
I was just in the shop and I think I got a handle on it ? I used the 3G Jet Opaque Dark on a Black fotl Tee and laid my Parchment over it and it came out with a somewhat Matte finish.. Just what I wanted. But MAN, I gotta' tell ya ' what a Bear to use with a clam-shell press ! Every time I laid the transfer on the shirt, the transfer would begin to curl under and stick to it's self because of the close proximity of the heat platen directly above it about 3 to 10 " depending on if it's the back or the front. I saw on the TSF that I wasn't the ONLY one with these problems ? ;) I managed to work it out, but it was a " pain." Next I tried the new JPSS I just got, on a Medium Green fotl Tee. For this one I did the Mirror image. Next I pressed it with Teflon over the back.. In this case I guess Teflon doesn't really make any difference, since you're on the BACK of the xfer ? Anyway, after I pressed, I hot peeled and waited about 1 minute, then I pressed again with the Parchment over the xfer and it came out with a Matte finish as well :D So I guess I'm headed in the right direction ? I got a gig I have to get to so I gotta' run,, But " I Shall return." Thanks again and God bless...

Dave
PS Sorry about the xfer thing.. Ham Radio Operator, force of habit. For the uninitiated, it stands for Transfer...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts