T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a Nation of Consumers!! So....When it comes to Tshirts, what makes you throw down cash for one? I know from experience, I like being the first to own a 'one of a kind'...what about all of you? Men and Women....
I'm picking everyones brain....what makes you go-'I want that TShirt!'??? Any thoughts are welcome!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm the type of guy who goes for shirts with designs dealing with a certain genre or subject that I'm really into. I've never been much for general design. I guess I just like people knowing what I'm into merely by looking at my shirt.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I second mandobear's notion. Not much of a designer tee person, instead I wear shirts for heavy metal bands I like or anime, etc. Now that I'm a business owner though, I pretty much just wear my company shirts all the time. Instead of advertising someone's band, I'm advertising my business now :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Influences and You!

Hi Everyone!!

If you had to pick A, B, or C...
What influences you most when purchasing a Tee??

A. The 'Name' Behind it.. for example: AX, Gucci...
B. The originality of it, being one of only a handful of people that have that particular shirt.
or
C. The design/colors used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback..keep it coming!!

In regards to everyones responses...i have some follow up questions...check them out...

Genere was mentioned a few times...so what kind of Genere?!

'Message Tees' are a dime a dozen..so do you lean more towards crazy/insult/funny sayings or positive messages?

As for the type of design...are you into a more full coverage of the front or back...or a design in a smaller scale centered on the T??

Drop your thoughts...!! thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Now that I make T's my whole outlook on shopping for them has changed. I like to buy T-shirts as souviniers for places I am visiting or an event I am attending. I think they make a great lasting memory. If I am presented with a whole bunch of choices I am likely to go with something distressed and collegiate looking. I remember years ago when I was obsessed with embroidered items, I am over that now:)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Last time I owned a message tee was when I was eleven years old. It said, "Evil, Wicked, Mean and Nasty" :D

I'm very picky and would rather wear a blank tee than a anything generic looking. I like tees relating to things I like... motorcycles, movies, cars, outdoors, science or something clever.

The print and fabric should match up to the price. I won't pay $25 for a laser transfer on a generic cotton tee. If the tee is over $10 I expect it to be screenprinted, over $15 and I expect a nice ringspun shirt. Over $20 and it better make the chicks dig me. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Re: Influences and You!

If you had to pick A, B, or C...
What influences you most when purchasing a Tee??
Definitely the design. Although more and more I've found myself tempted to buy branded t-shirts (e.g. a Johnny Cupcakes heavily branded shirt) as sort of an industry pride thing. I haven't crossed that threshold yet though.

B. The originality of it, being one of only a handful of people that have that particular shirt.
This sort of happens at a level above influencing the purchase. It's a simple binary switch.

A limited edition won't particularly entice me to buy, but I simply won't buy anything mass produced. That's one of the reasons I'm liking Threadless less and less. Every time I see someone walking down the street wearing a Threadless tee I cringe - purely because familiarity breeds contempt (I'm not saying it's rational, it's just an instinctive reaction I can't help).

So production quantity is a purchasing test that a brand simply passes/fails. Passing it doesn't make it any more likely that I'll purchase (except in that it is technically possible), failing it guarantees that I won't.

As a point of reference, Threadless are on the cusp.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
In regards to everyones responses...
If you're trying to do market research, bear in mind that most of us have a pretty warped purchasing perspective.

'Message Tees' are a dime a dozen..so do you lean more towards crazy/insult/funny sayings or positive messages?
When I went for message shirts I went for something humorous that expressed something about myself (e.g. geek humour), preferably with an inside joke.

I've never been a fan of insult tees, and personally I hate (most of) those positive life affirmation t-shirts (Life is Good and so on). I consider both obnoxious.

As for the type of design...are you into a more full coverage of the front or back...or a design in a smaller scale centered on the T??
Either. Not a fan of back prints unless they closely tie into the front print.

Drop your thoughts...!!
I hardly ever buy t-shirts anymore. When I do, it's often because it's a really nice illustration that I couldn't have pulled off myself. In other words, I buy t-shirts I wish I was selling.

If I admire, envy or respect a designer, I'm more likely to buy their stuff. Again, that's the industry pride thing.

When I was buying t-shirts regularly humour was a primary factor, but they also had to be well designed. I particularly liked amusing and well designed shirts from webcomics.

One of my favourite shirts is still a limited edition Cat & Girl shirt. That was a combination of esoteric humour, being a reference to something I like (the webcomic) an injoke (also the webcomic), a well designed illustration, a simple bold screenprint, and on a shirt colour I like that is severely underutilised (brown).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.