T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do about 500,000 in gross sales per year, but it is all online. We have been working on getting into retail stores, and have a couple boutiques but I'm not sure how to even go about scaling it. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just keep cold calling and cold emailing potential buyers?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Retail stores is the way to go, but it is a totally different ball game. Remember that in this case you are not betting much on what people are looking for, but on what people would want to buy when they see it. The WOW factor is very important here.

The "active" option:

If you are confident about your product, just send them samples. Not random retailers of course, otherwise you will be wasting your time. Just pick the ones you want, give them a quick call, don't pressure them (very important), and simply ask them where to send the samples.

The "passive" option:
This is is basically running online Ads, but they have to be carefully targeted, otherwise you will be burning money. Online Ads work well with small and new retailers, who are less picky. They buy less, but there are thousands of them.

Both options work well, but unfortunately, both require a good product and somebody who knows what he/she is doing. This brings us to what I used to call the "the China Syndrome". I thought that the moment they figure out how to do it, we will all be doomed. However, just like with the nuclear "China Syndrome" the real world effect is totally different. Their products and marketing is getting better, but wages and costs have also risen substantially, and there are also the import tariffs. So, it looks like we will all be just fine after all :D.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I have heard it's a totally different beast (retail) and right now I'm so clueless. BUT our feedback is awesome online and I truly believe in what we sell, so hoping to keep on keepin on until I figure it out

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can ask them to put some shirts in their store and come back later to collect the money when they are sold. By this way they will be more confident that they don't have to pay in advance while they can test the market. If your shirts are selling well, then they are sure to order more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.