T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have built your own exposure unit, did you connect it to any type of digital timer which automatically shuts the light off? I'm trying to find a timer which I can use so that I don't always have to manually shut the unit off.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I have a commercially built unit that has a built in timer, but I use a stopwatch because 'Timing is Everything". Also, once it's done exposing, you want to remove the film and immediately spray the screen to clear the design and stop the exposure.
You don't want it to sit with active emulsion.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Look for a photographic darkroom timer. I picked up a brand new/old stock one to use with my unfiltered blacklight unit I built a few years ago that shuts the light off when the exposure was done. It's a GraLab model 300.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tom,

Looks like you and I frequent the same forums. Thanks for your response on Screen Printer Open. I will look into a darkroom timer.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Hi Tom,

Looks like you and I frequent the same forums. Thanks for your response on Screen Printer Open. I will look into a darkroom timer.

Thanks,

Kevin
Bear in mind that the timer really can't be used to turn on or off a metal halide light of the warehouse light type. One reason I went with a multiple-tube unfiltered blacklight rig with a pond-liner vacuum blanket instead of a home-spun metal halide one was the convenience of using a timer so I didn't have to babysit the unit. A fluorescent tube job with a vacuum blanket will do very good screens. I've still got 2 that I made. I've since sprung for a commercial metal halide unit and it is far and away one of the best investments, next to my current press, that I've made, but it wasn't cheap.

If you do a search here and on screenprinters open, you'll find a lot of info and debate on exposure units that you can perhaps work into your own.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question concerning MH lights. I know you have to allow them around 5 minutes to heat up. Let's say I wait the 5 minutes, then burn a screen. My timer shuts the light off. Would I have to wait another 5 minutes for the light to get up to speed again, or is the wait time shorter the second time you turn the light on?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
My limited experience with one I bought but never used in a unit was that after it was hot, if you shut if off, it had to go through a cool down stage before it would relight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts