T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple questions. So I've been in business for 3 years now. On the embroidery side, I have a single head barudan that I bought new in 2014. I'm at a point now where on some months, I'm so overloaded with work that I have to work 16 hour days 7 days a week to keep up. Yet other months I barely scrape by. My current machine is payed off in December this year and I'm thinking about getting a 6 head after it is. I do a lot of 3D caps and don't think I can go backwards and get a much older machine and I'd like to stick with Barudan. I also don't think I can afford a new one. I essentially have no money saved up and am ready to/need to grow to support my family.

So to my established colleagues: How did you do it? Did you get a loan or did you save up? Buy new or used? When you hit the point I'm at, did you start subbing out before you were ready to buy? Any advice/experience is appreciated.

To be honest, I feel stuck and I'm terrified of taking the risk of adding another $1000+ bill every month. Especially when my sales fluctuate so much.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
95% of my business comes from one industry. I've made a name for myself there and have become the go to guy for most of them. So I get smaller jobs somewhat consistently, but when there is a convention for that industry coming up I get slammed with orders.

To be honest, I'm itching to branch out and start finding more business elsewhere but it almost feels like starting over. I have no idea where to start and it's kind of intimidating. I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

· Registered
218 Posts
I have older Barudans from 1997 and up and they run 3D just fine. All Barudans run puff. I am also kinda one of the go to guys right now when it comes to used Barudans. Best bet is to go to a bank and get a loan. A lease is too high on payment and interest plus you have a buy out at the end. You could always buy a 2 head if you can't go up to a 4 or 6. If you can't run a multi-head 8 hours a day 5 days a week then perhaps you should stick with the single or add another single.

· Registered
9,952 Posts
One day a local bank manager walked into our shop and wanted to sell on credit card processing. I told her I needed a $150K line of credit and she gave me an application and about 2 weeks later I had purchase orders for $60K in new equipment. The loan worked out to about 5%.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have older Barudans from 1997 and up and they run 3D just fine. All Barudans run puff. I am also kinda one of the go to guys right now when it comes to used Barudans. Best bet is to go to a bank and get a loan. A lease is too high on payment and interest plus you have a buy out at the end. You could always buy a 2 head if you can't go up to a 4 or 6. If you can't run a multi-head 8 hours a day 5 days a week then perhaps you should stick with the single or add another single.
I was warned by barudan not to get anything older than '02 because parts and support won't be around anymore. And thank you for the honest feedback. I think I've just been overwhelmed this last month and need to work on consistently having months like this before I'm ready to purchase a multi head. It's just frustrating seeing shops with multiple 12 head machines undercutting my prices. I just can't compete with a lot them on pricing. I think the next step will have to be 2 or 4 head, unless I can find a good deal on a used 6. My current machine is payed off this december. I've been paying $430/month on a 3 year loan. So if I can find something that is around $20-25k and do a 5 year my monthly payment could still work out to about what it is now. I think.

· Registered
218 Posts
I was warned by barudan not to get anything older than '02 because parts and support won't be around anymore. And thank you for the honest feedback. I think I've just been overwhelmed this last month and need to work on consistently having months like this before I'm ready to purchase a multi head. It's just frustrating seeing shops with multiple 12 head machines undercutting my prices. I just can't compete with a lot them on pricing. I think the next step will have to be 2 or 4 head, unless I can find a good deal on a used 6. My current machine is payed off this december. I've been paying $430/month on a 3 year loan. So if I can find something that is around $20-25k and do a 5 year my monthly payment could still work out to about what it is now. I think.
Not sure why Barudan said that. Parts are pretty plentiful right now on older machines as well as support from independant technicians. I bet you would get real frustrated walking into my shop lol

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One day a local bank manager walked into our shop and wanted to sell on credit card processing. I told her I needed a $150K line of credit and she gave me an application and about 2 weeks later I had purchase orders for $60K in new equipment. The loan worked out to about 5%.
That's crazy! Did they go based off your business/sales or personal credit?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure why Barudan said that. Parts are pretty plentiful right now on older machines as well as support from independant technicians. I bet you would get real frustrated walking into my shop lol
Maybe they were just trying to sell me on the newer ones, who knows. I was talking to the team at an ISS show.

And no lol. As long as your not contacting all of my customers asking for my prices so you can undercut them, I wouldn't be mad. I'm happy for anyone in the industry that found a way to get ahead and make a good living doing this. If I walked into your shop, you would probably have a hard time getting me to leave because I'd be too busy taking notes and picking your brain.

· Registered
218 Posts
Maybe they were just trying to sell me on the newer ones, who knows. I was talking to the team at an ISS show.

And no lol. As long as your not contacting all of my customers asking for my prices so you can undercut them, I wouldn't be mad. I'm happy for anyone in the industry that found a way to get ahead and make a good living doing this. If I walked into your shop, you would probably have a hard time getting me to leave because I'd be too busy taking notes and picking your brain.
You should make a trip one day. I am in Virginia right off I-81 in Roanoke. I work on several machines in that area you are in.

· Registered
114 Posts
Ten years ago we were in the same situation as you seem to be now. We started with a single head and soon out grew it. Sometimes you just have to jump off the cliff and hope the you land on your feet. We added a 2 head then another 2 head a dtg printer and printer cutter and we job out our screen printing.
You may have to pick yourself up off the rocks a few times but you sound like a worker that is capable of doing that. You have to look at the market that is in your area. Look at who you have to compete with then decide if you want to jump. Worker for us. Hope thing work well for you as we know how hard a decision it can be. GOOD LUCK.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think it's worth it to be honest. I'm still deciding what's best for me but I've ruled out a 2 head. At $30k for a 2 head or $46k for a 6 head, it just doesn't make sense to get a 2. My next purchase will either be another single head or a 6 head depending on how much business picked up 6 months from now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.