T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking about how much of a pain in the a$$ it is to go to my kitchen sink and wash my screens with screen wash, emulsion remover and degreaser. And how it all leaves bad stains!

Since I can't buy a dip tank or make a vertical one, what about a horizontal one?

I thought about getting a plastic storage tub from Kmart, Target etc., filling it maybe 1/2" with whatever "wash" I need and lay the screen in it with the flat side down. Then I'd strain the yucky stuff out, pour it back in the tub, slap the lid on it and tah-dah!

Think it could work?

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was just thinking about that myself... Here is what I was thinking..

A parts washer you can get from most any hardware/DYI store like lowes, menards, home depot, or even HarborFreight.com which has them half the price of the retailers.

Here is a link...

Harbor Freight Tools

They are self contained, and when you are done cane scrap out the residue from the bottom and dispose.

They are motorized so you get pressure from the hose.

Has anyone else done such a thing? What do you guys think???

Cheers, DZ

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMFG THATS THE COOLEST THING EVER! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I'M GONNA GET ONE!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The 20 gallons of screen wash and another 20 of reclaimer sounds kind of steep. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The guy I got some screens from that is what he uses is a parts washer and some PVC pipe he drilled holes in.
He turns it on and let's it do it thing and comes back like an hour later and little to no work at all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a 6 1/2 gallon unit as well... Besides, 20 gallons is it's tub capacity, you don't have to fill it all the way...

Thanks, DZ

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 6 1/2 isn't big enough for a 20x24" screen. I'm getting a 20 gallon. It's 28" wide! And only $80! I'm so excited!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I TURNED THIS INTO A WASH OUT BOOTH FOR MY GARAGE WHEN SOME COMPANY WAS GIVING THEM AWAY. WITH A SAWSALL, HEAT GUN, LOTS OF PATIENCE, AND TIME YOU COULD DO IT TOO. I AM ABOUT AS MECHANICALLY INCLINED AS AN AMISH ELECTRICIAN. IT EVEN HAS A DRAIN, AND IS TRANSLUCENT SO I PUT A FLORESCENT LIGHTBOX BEHIND IT. I CUT IT ALMOST IN HALF LEAVING THE BOTTOM INTACT, USED A HEAT GUN USED( FOR SHIRINK WRAPPING) TO BEND THE BOTTOM I HALF THEN,BOLTED IT TO THE SIDES. I USED THE CAGE AS A STAND . VERY LITTLE COST IF YOU CAN GET THE, Palletized Poly Tote Tank 275 gallon IBC containers FOR FREE OR OFFER THEM 25 - 50 BUCKS. THE GUYS I GOT THEM FROM WERE GOING TO THROW THEM AWAY.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad says the parts washers aren't that great. No water pressure. I think I might try my original plan......

·
Registered
8 Posts
The pressure isn't super great, but it is pressurized with a built in motor... I'll keep that in mind before buying one... I'm in the same dilemma as everyone else in this forum...

Thanks, DZ

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone think my original thought about the tub will work?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think it would work if you could find one big enough. You could always cut a valve into it and put some sort of mesh over it to keep debris out and filter it for reuse.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here's a dip tank that I made for about $50.00. I picked up the 40 gallon tub at a horse supply store nearby. It's made to water horses.

It will fit 2 19" x 22" screens at a time. I drilled a hole at one end and installed a drain so that I can drain the reclaiming fluid into a couple of 5 gallon buckets when I'm not using the tub.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I FOUND THE PERFECT TUB AT KMART! it has a lid and everything. Even little wheels on the bottom

It's like 38x23. Perfect for my 20x24 frames! Yay!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts