T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went and did it now. Based on the samples I got from Stahls (precut versions I heat pressed on t-shirt squares), I got an order of premium plus in every color. That's right, one 20" sheet in every color they make it in. Plus a 5 yd roll in white and black.

After ordering I was searching around and just generally looking for pointers on premium plus and I came across a TON of people having problems with it. So.... I got a new blade (and blade protector too just in case). I got a 45 and a 60. I'm really hoping I didn't make a $190 mistake with it. I wanted every color just to be able to create things on the fly without having to order as I needed it. Like I say, I love the pressed feel of it.

I'm assuming it's still the same non-sticky carrier and nothing's changed since it first came out. Is that right? I will post my results or the destruction because I'll probably blow if I can't use this stuff.

I would have gone with superfilm because I REALLY like it's hand. But they don't offer sheets of it and I wanted lots of colors (I couldn't choose).

No questions yet, but I can guarantee you that I'll post my results just in case anyone else is like me and wanting a rainbow of colors and chooses as I did. Wishing myself luck.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
So far not good. Everywhere there is a point it sticks and comes off the carrier. Off to try different settings. grrrrrr.
We recommend dedicating a blade to Premium Plus. Also make sure that your blade is sticking out roughly the thickness of a credit card, and that your cutting strip is free of any stratches or dents.

Have you tried more down force?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I was so concerned and nutty that I FORGOT TO MIRROR! DOH! But that gave me an opportunity to play with it again. What I did was increase the force and the offset a little. Slowed it down even more.

I had fairly good success and that's with a design with i's in it. It's not really detailed or tiny but I think it's right at the line of being workable. I'm judging by the non response to everyone wanting more tackiness on the carrier that Stahls has no say in this or it would somehow cause a huge problem. I realize they say they make the material or it's theirs, but I'm betting it would have been fixed if that really was the case. I won't be reordering this, but I think it will be fine for lettering and simple customizations. I wish they offered their super film in sizes like they do the premium +. I did start with a new blade and protector because I knew that would be a problem right off the bat.

I don't know how Courtney can roughly handle and weed this stuff in the videos though. I'm not saying it's a doctored video, but if I could handle this material like she does then there wouldn't be a problem. If I treated the black I used like that It would all come off together or have half off the carrier. Maybe I need to purchase my blade from you guys and get the EXACT settings you're using since I'm using the same cutter. I'm going to press this later on so I'm sure I'll like the results of that because the hand of this is why I got it in the first place.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Ok, I was so concerned and nutty that I FORGOT TO MIRROR! DOH! But that gave me an opportunity to play with it again. What I did was increase the force and the offset a little. Slowed it down even more.

I had fairly good success and that's with a design with i's in it. It's not really detailed or tiny but I think it's right at the line of being workable. I'm judging by the non response to everyone wanting more tackiness on the carrier that Stahls has no say in this or it would somehow cause a huge problem. I realize they say they make the material or it's theirs, but I'm betting it would have been fixed if that really was the case. I won't be reordering this, but I think it will be fine for lettering and simple customizations. I wish they offered their super film in sizes like they do the premium +. I did start with a new blade and protector because I knew that would be a problem right off the bat.

I don't know how Courtney can roughly handle and weed this stuff in the videos though. I'm not saying it's a doctored video, but if I could handle this material like she does then there wouldn't be a problem. If I treated the black I used like that It would all come off together or have half off the carrier. Maybe I need to purchase my blade from you guys and get the EXACT settings you're using since I'm using the same cutter. I'm going to press this later on so I'm sure I'll like the results of that because the hand of this is why I got it in the first place.
We always take in suggestions and comments from our customers. You were correct in saying that increasing the tackiness of the carrier would change how the material performs while weeding negatively.

What cutter do you own?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grrrr rub it in David, rub it in! :D

I really wish I had read up on all these problems before ordering but like I say, I think I can make it work but nothing like Courtney did in the videos. I'll probably end up buying your blade so maybe I can duplicate her results. In the end, I'll probably just be poorer.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Grrrr rub it in David, rub it in! :D

I really wish I had read up on all these problems before ordering but like I say, I think I can make it work but nothing like Courtney did in the videos. I'll probably end up buying your blade so maybe I can duplicate her results. In the end, I'll probably just be poorer.
We have a money back guarantee on the Premium Plus, so if it doesn't work for you, just call and we'll take care of it.

I can say that the Premium Plus is not going to achieve the detail that David posted. We would recommend Fashion Film or Sportfilm Lite for this. But you should be able to accommodate some moderate detail, especially if you dedicate a carbide blade to the material and cut at 25 cm/s or less.

We manufacture a wide variety of basic films (including Premium Plus)...the Premium Plus seems to be working well for a large percentage of our customer base and those who don't like it are typically satisfied with either Fashion Film or Sportfilm Lite which offer similar direct from manufacturer price points. We'll send free samples of Fashion Film, Sportfilm Lite and Superfilm if you'd like to evaluate side by side...just drop me a PM.

Also, thanks for the feedback on the sheets. We started the sheets with a limited product range to see if there is a demand. We can certainly look to offer them in more products. We'll have to review the sales of them and general feedback. I personally think they are beneficial over a 1 yd cut.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
That should of been about as easy as it gets to weed that black. :confused:
I agree but every each of the drop shadow sections under the white lettering had a "hang" point on it where it didn't cut though cleanly.

Unless you were extremely careful it pulled the drop shadow off the carrier. At that point you were screwed because the extremely low tack of the backing wouldn't hold the loose piece in place.

If the Expert 24 had an adjustable overcut or I had used a slightly more blade it may have weeded easier.

We're using Sportfilm light now and I really like working with it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I've about got this dialed in. Still need to get a good blade. This is just a generic 45 blade from JSI for like $6. Not fun weeding but it did turn out. I'm starting to learn the limitations on this stuff. Anything small that's just a dot will pop off. Even putting a little pressure from my pick pops it off. The other colors weeded much better than the black, except the yellow. The Yellow has a powder on it and is thicker. Of course I didn't test cut it because I don't want to waste it. I had a really hard time seeing the cut lines in the yellow and it needed more pressure. It worked out though. I did restick a little piece that popped off with some quilt basting spray applied with a q-tip. This is for a grandmother's shirt who's daughter is on a traveling softball team. I gave it to her cheap because I wanted the test. Now if I can get it all lined up and pressed we'll be golden. I'm wishing the carrier was clear now that it's line up time, but I think I'll be able to see it. BTW, by far the hardest weeding was the stitches on the black ball part. I even enlarged those a little because I knew they would suck. Also I didn't flip the yellow one over because it's the one with the basting spray on it and didn't want to lose that little piece. The rest are flipped over to show the shirt. I weeded the first black one completely before I realized I didn't mirror it. Crazy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One important thing I just learned while pressing this and I already knew it but wasn't thinking right. There was no reason to cut and weed most of that black. This vinyl is so thin that 2 layers are very manageable. AND it would have been enough 'overprint' to not have any t-shirt showing through because it's physically impossible to get those perfectly lined up, especially when it may have not been designed right from the get go. Next time... I'm doing base layer and then the rest on top if possible. It did press good and it's good light stuff. I think I'll try the superfilm next when I reorder some colors (red).

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Nice design. I know there are member that will not agree with what I am about to say but for this design I would have left the black a solid color except where the word Softball is at the bottom. Then lay the other colors on top less registration issues. Also this material is so thin I don’t think it being two layers in those areas would have caused an issue. Just my $.02

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree 100%. In doing embroidery I always have to make sure to overlap. For some odd reason it didn't even dawn on me. And it would have saved me a lot of backache from leaning over while weeding last night or this morning (2am).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.