T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
considering that i have my shirts/tags just sitting here and collecting dirt.... i want to move ahead and get some "official" gear in stock....... so i'm thinking that the most economical way to make this happen for now is to order some plas. transfers....... and a heat press..........

most of my designs take up 12x15 (whole/height/or width) so i could gang up a few designs on a sheet....

would it make sense to go this route and press when i get an order...... i was thinking of getting screenprint setup but no room for that dont think the parents would like the smell in the basement..hehehe.....

do the plas. transfers look as good as a regular screenprint?.....is there another transfer that gives a "thinner" feel but yet still looks screen printed?..... i dont really like the vynle look......

plus my designs are a bit gritty so i can screw up a little bit and "add some character"....

eventually once the line gets going i'll have a printer do my stuff....but for now, i need some promo stuff and gear on hand to sell ........(i use spreadshirt right now)..

figure i would need a heat press.... so any recommendations on that would be cool.... (not looking for junk)....

and can someone guesstimate the cost of this.... figure 10 designs with 12per design and a heat press.... are we looking at 1000-1500?

thanks people......

b

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
and can someone guesstimate the cost of this.... figure 10 designs with 12per design and a heat press.... are we looking at 1000-1500?
I spent that much alone just on my heat press. For the transfers, I would just call a few people... F&M, Ace, Versatranz and have them quote you prices. Some of them, like F&M, have their pricing on their website so you can just go look. They will all send you samples if you ask.

(fyi, F&M's website is transferfreedom.com)

I bought a Phoenix 16x20 heat press and it has been trouble free so far. Phoenix is just a rebranded Hotronix sold by Imprintables.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I think using transfer for the print as needed feature is a great way to keep inventory cost down. I will further add that plastisol transfer are just as good as screenprinting and you don't have to deal with all the clean up. ... JB

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
all my designs are 1-2 colors.....

figured 2 color front/1color back logo/1color inside tag...... i can bulkgang the inside tags and the logos and prolly 3 of the 10 front graphics..

i am going to assume that the plastisol process requires a screen charge/reverse image.... so i'm still looking at screen charges for this then...hmmmm.....figure 20screens plus 2....22 screens for 10 designs....prolly a few less.....

maybe i'll call up my printer and see if they can do this for me...... maybe i can work with them and keep it local....... hmmm

b

i'm doing both a printed tag and my sew in tags.....

·
Registered
721 Posts
all my designs are 1-2 colors.....

figured 2 color front/1color back logo/1color inside tag...... i can bulkgang the inside tags and the logos and prolly 3 of the 10 front graphics..

i am going to assume that the plastisol process requires a screen charge/reverse image.... so i'm still looking at screen charges for this then...hmmmm.....figure 20screens plus 2....22 screens for 10 designs....prolly a few less.....

maybe i'll call up my printer and see if they can do this for me...... maybe i can work with them and keep it local....... hmmm

b

i'm doing both a printed tag and my sew in tags.....
As wormil suggested, call around or do some web searches and get some pricing. Some of the vendors such as TransferExpress.com require that you have a log-in name to see the pricing. That's easy to do.

While you're checking pricing, ask the various companies to send you some sample transfers. Not only do you get to see and feel the quality for yourself, it's also a great indicator of who wants your business, and their level of customer service.

I asked for samples from several places...you would not believe how many did not bother to send one out.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
looks like transferes are more expensive....if i'm reading this right
FULL SIZE

i would need the 13x18 size designer jumbo at the bottom...

figure 10 designs 2 colors and 12prints per=120 prints

i am going to think that these costs are for individual designs.... so i would be paying for the 12x10.10x10designs or would i pay the 120x2.55 (total)

maybe i'm reading it wrong.... plus not sure if it's plas.transfers

b

then heres the other one..... maybe i need to run like 5 designs instead of 10
http://www.transferfreedom.com/4prpltr.html#Pricing

then printing on 100%cotton white/light/dark.

looks like i'm limited

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
:) ...most of the info and tips have already been mentioned in the above posts...thanks everyone for your imput.

have you thought about making a hand full of finished printed shirt samples and get some booked orders before you go ahead with production? or is that what you are planning on doing with small qty run? aka sample runs.

in my past life. :) ...it was normal for designers to walk in the door with 10-20 designs, they would get ganged up on a large sheet 28x40 and work out a sample run price. About 10-30 sheets.

Of course, if the transfer maker likes the designs...who knows, all the better i would think.

But yeah, try FM and TransferX etc.

Best of luck.

:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just need some smaller runs so i can sell them locally and push the name......if i had stock, i could sell some out of my truck..... but alot of people here dont buy online so i'm losing all my regular supporters.....

i'll have to see how well i can layout my designs to fit on a larger gang sheet.....some of my graphics are white/red black/grey white/grey black/red black white

so i think i would need 4 color setup then if i can fit it all on a larger sheet

thanks for the advice

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
i'll have to see how well i can layout my designs to fit on a larger gang sheet...
Couple of things to keep in mind... some companies charge a surcharge for ganged images... I think Ace charges $0.80 per sheet extra (can't remember if that is per image or just flat rate for the sheet) while some companies, F&M and Versatranz, do not charge for ganged images. So keep that in mind when comparing prices, what may seem cheaper may be more expensive once you tack on the extra fees. Unfortunately F&M discontinued their jumbo sheet in quantities less than 512.

There are others out there that I'm less familiar with ...
First Edition (they have never responded to any of my emails so I wrote them off)
Dowling Graphics
KE Motorgraphics
Howard Sportswear
Transfer Express (nice but expensive)
Universal (was very friendly until I mentioned I wouldn't pay gang up charges then he abruptly stopped communicating and didn't send the packet he promised so I'm guessing he charges for ganging)
M&M (search the forum first)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts