T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I noticed that from time to time I have a very thin lines on the left side of the print.
Those lines are super thin and hardly noticeable, but on white shirts you can see them .
Lines are thinner than a nozzle check lines.
Print head is clean and does not hit the shirt.
Nozzle check is fine.

What can it be ?

Attachments

· Registered
103 Posts
Hi,

I noticed that the lines are not uniform, not exact same distance apart. Do these lines show on the white
layer first or on colour layer too? I.E does same pattern show up on all layers? Only on left - head just
leaving capping station area then going right to left? Are lines front/back or right/left - shirt/head/line
orientation?

· Registered
103 Posts
Hi,

I noticed that the lines are not uniform, not exact same distance apart. Do these lines show on the white
layer first or on colour layer too? I.E does same pattern show up on all layers? Only on left - head just
leaving capping station area then going right to left? Are lines front/back or right/left - shirt/head/line
orientation?

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

orientation?
I dont have white ink in my printer .
CMYK only.
Those lines are on the left side (when you standing in front of the printer) of the print when I'm printing on a small platens(11.5x16).
And it's only at he end of the print.
like an inch from the end of the platen.
And it's only there.
Meaning if I print some image with empty areas in the middle - it will be clean.
Those lines are only at the bottom of the print area (left side if you standing in front of the printer).

· Registered
103 Posts
That is interesting! So, full image print and just last inch on left (from front) has issue? This might
be lack of ink if full image. You mentioned strength is 25% or so, try increasing to 35% to increase
ink flow to see if this reduces effect

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is interesting! So, full image print and just last inch on left (from front) has issue? This might
be lack of ink if full image. You mentioned strength is 25% or so, try increasing to 35% to increase
Yes, the issue is in a last inch in the left.
Will try to increase it to 35.
Thanks !

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still have those lines and "shadows".
And it's never the same "bad print".
I printed 6 shirts with the same image and in all 6 of them those lines appear, but in a different variations.
On some cases it's just tiny barely visible lines on other shirt it might be a black "shadow" on different one a red "shadow" or red line/shadow etc.

Tried the following :
Increase the ink flow to 35% and 49%, different images, different shirts.
The problem is still here .
It's ALWAYS at the end of the print (never at the middle or at the beginning of the image)
On any size of platen (16x20 or 11.5x16)
Noticed that this thing is happening only when I'm printing a full size print.
Meaning if the printed image is taking a full platen size (16*20 or 11.5*16)
If I'm taking the same image and making it smaller by couple inches - it will not happen anymore.

Also I'm having Error 1601 frequently (solving it by turning printer off and on again) - maybe it's connected somehow ?
Any Ideas ?

Attachments

· Registered
4,494 Posts
It sounds like a print-head alignment issue.
You need to run the alignment utility.

However, on second thought, and because you are saying that they are erratic.... I'm thinking that maybe your platen is uneven, and the distance of the print surface from the print-head varies as it moves.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like a print-head alignment issue.
You need to run the alignment utility.

However, on second thought, and because you are saying that they are erratic.... I'm thinking that maybe your platen is uneven, and the distance of the print surface from the print-head varies as it moves.
I don't think its a platen issue, as it happens at the end of the print on any size of platen 16x20 and 11.5x16.
On small platen (11.5 x16) the end of the print is on the left side(if you facing the printer) and on the bigger platen (16x20) those lines will appear at the end of the print (which is straight forward if you standing in front of the printer.)

· Registered
4,494 Posts
So you are saying that on the 16x20 platen the lines are horizontal as you are facing the printer, and on the smaller platen they are vertical as you are facing the printer?

If that is the case it has to be an electrostatic issue. something is pulling the ink spray slightly.

As for the 1601 Error, it is caused by the paper width sensor,which you probably don't have. So it's either a bug with the emulator, or a bug in your RIP software.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok - did many testings.
The problem is always on the left side.
with small or big platen.
noticed that if I clean the encoder strip - this "shadow print" will almost disappear (leaving light red outlining to the black text) .
But after 1-2 prints the problem will reaper.
I don't see any logic in it ...
Encoder srip cant get that dirty that quick!
any ideas ?

· Registered
4,494 Posts
OK seeing the images makes it easier. This is definitely encoder issue.
So you've cleaned the encoder strip... but let me guess...you have not cleaned the sensor.

The sensor itself could be bad, but my guess is that it is just dirty. First thing to try is using compressed air to clean it, and see if the problem goes away.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK seeing the images makes it easier. This is definitely encoder issue.
So you've cleaned the encoder strip... but let me guess...you have not cleaned the sensor.

The sensor itself could be bad, but my guess is that it is just dirty. First thing to try is using compressed air to clean it, and see if the problem goes away.
I'm "cleaning" the sensor with compressed air each time I clean the strip.
Is it possible to clean this sensor somehow without dissembling the print head ?

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Compressed air works for dust, but will not work for grease or ink. You can use cleanroom foam swabs.

If this does not work, I'd buy a new strip and a new sensor. They are cheap parts (around $40 for both).
By the way, I used to think that cleaning the strip with tap water was OK...What could go wrong...Right? Well it does go wrong. Now I use windex, or 50/50 solution of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Compressed air works for dust, but will not work for grease or ink. You can use cleanroom foam swabs.

If this does not work, I'd buy a new strip and a new sensor. They are cheap parts (around $40 for both).
By the way, I used to thing that cleaning the strip with tap water was OK...What could go wrong...Right? Well it does go wrong. Now I use windex, or 50/50 solution of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol.
I'm cleaning the strip with isopropyl alcohol wipes (lintless).
Will try cleanroom foam swabs.
Thanks for the help !

· Registered
103 Posts
Hi,

I am not convinced encoder strip issue since it would be somewhat consistent error. To prove this, print small image but all way to left (or area where you get issues) and see if shadows appear. If encoder bad on left side you should see this condition even on small, far left images.

It is very odd that on one image only the number 8 shadowed rather than all the digits, if encoder I would expect all digits to be moved, not selective ones?

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Hi,

I am not convinced encoder strip issue since it would be somewhat consistent error. To prove this, print small image but all way to left (or area where you get issues) and see if shadows appear. If encoder bad on left side you should see this condition even on small, far left images.

It is very odd that on one image only the number 8 shadowed rather than all the digits, if encoder I would expect all digits to be moved, not selective ones?

Actually this is a fairly common encoder issue.
Look carefully and you will see that all the digits are followed by their "ghost".

· Registered
103 Posts
I guess I just do not see what you are, on the 18 image, I only see the 8 ghosted ? Also, the head
does not know what part the Y image it is on, only the X position. So, is bad encoder would expect
a whole bunch of issues all along the Y axis as the head moves over to capping area - I only see at
end of print no?

Another simple test would be to flip the encoder strip top/bottom to see if damaged area moved up/down away from sensor BUT I would expect Epson to throw an error under these conditions AND
see the head move irattic over this section. The CR PID controller is fairly sensitive to encoder position
errors - the only errors you can get are false increment/decrement of loss of all pulses, it should pick
up on this error. I have found this to be true when there is an encoder strip issue.

· Registered
103 Posts
.... again just to be clear. You mentioned always on LEFT/rear side so image you have sent if rear of platen,
lower LEFT which would mean 1836 is printed in Y direction. I.E as printer moves down platen?

+--------------------+
F | |
R | |
O | | -> printer movement to rear.
N | 1836 |
T +--------------------+

Like this?

· Registered
4,494 Posts
I guess I just do not see what you are, on the 18 image, I only see the 8 ghosted ? Also, the head
does not know what part the Y image it is on, only the X position. So, is bad encoder would expect
a whole bunch of issues all along the Y axis as the head moves over to capping area - I only see at
end of print no?

Another simple test would be to flip the encoder strip top/bottom to see if damaged area moved up/down away from sensor BUT I would expect Epson to throw an error under these conditions AND
see the head move irattic over this section. The CR PID controller is fairly sensitive to encoder position
errors - the only errors you can get are false increment/decrement of loss of all pulses, it should pick
up on this error. I have found this to be true when there is an encoder strip issue.

Well... the theory is nice, and I guess it could be something else as well. All I know, is that a dirty encoder sensor can cause this and I've seen it in more than one printer. Look at the images again... the word "navigating"... both "g" have a ghost.

I think people having this issue should try the cleaning option first, and then possibly replace the encoder parts.
Process of elimination, starting with the easiest possibility. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.