T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I asked this on another forum and didn't get a solid answer -- or rather, inappropriate answers.
Does anybody print/plot these Thin Blue Line Decals? (used by law enforcement to indicate they (LEO's) are active/retired officers, see link below)

This Wikipedia page gives the description, and this associated page has the actual .svg file. It IS a registered trademark but cannot be copyrighted for obvious reasons.

So... in short, is it legal to print these, or who needs to be contacted? According to the Trademark search engine, the TBL was "abandoned" Dec. 19, 2009 and is now dead. So maybe that changes it.

(On a side note, there's about 6 versions of these "lines", probably the most popular being for firefighters, thus the "thin red line". That also is a LIVE registered trademark, but they are printed everywhere. :confused: Both Blue and Red lines are "owned" by Fraternal Blue Line, Inc.)

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes it can be copyrighted in context to what the logo/sign stands for. To sell a copy product in the same market (context) will be an infringement of their trademark/copyright. A trademark and/or copyright does not have to be registered to be protected. For example, when you see a TM after a logo or slogan, it is an unregistered trademark that someone claims the right to.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave - sent email.

Mark - thanks for the input. I was going according to the page with the .svg file, which says it is a registered trademark but not eligible for copyright alone. There's a bunch of "fine print", I guess, that I don't know about and was wondering.

The line (no pun intended) is not very clear as to what can be done, what can't. For instance, and from a past job - putting a red vinyl stripe across the back of a vehicle window with a maltese in the middle (indicating the red line of course). It's related to the thin red line, but hey, it's a piece of red vinyl on a window.:rolleyes: But anyway....I by all means don't want to infringe on someone else's property.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts