T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
that made me laugh DHOFFROAD, and I'm really worried that when its printed the ink is just going to spread out after you lift the screen. Your going to use a gallon of ink every 10 shirts. you will be able to get the same results with a print flash print flash print. and if you want it a little bit thicker flash again and print. just remember to cure slower and make sure it reaches the right temp. (It really does look like you are using a screen door for a screen). what was the exposer time for that ???

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have added the discalimer that this isn't mine. Just came across it and thought it showed an aspect of stencil making some don't see.

Interesting about the "screen door" comparison. There are mesh counts that are akin to or coarser than screen door and different materials such as steel.

Screen printing covers a much wider gamut that a lot of folk imagine!

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that made me laugh DHOFFROAD, and I'm really worried that when its printed the ink is just going to spread out after you lift the screen. Your going to use a gallon of ink every 10 shirts. you will be able to get the same results with a print flash print flash print. and if you want it a little bit thicker flash again and print. just remember to cure slower and make sure it reaches the right temp. (It really does look like you are using a screen door for a screen). what was the exposer time for that ???
No need to worry when you know what you're doing. The set up, burn time, art prep and print technique isn't the same with every screen printing application and a job requiring a stencil such as this would be vastly different than more common scenarios. The ink viscosity would be such that "spreading" wouldn't be as expected. And part of the equation is that P/F/P/F wouldn't be practical from a production/time standpoint. Ideal printing would require a "fill" stroke and a single pass with a lower squeegee angle as opposed to flood, print, flash, print etc. And yes, as with printing in general, cure temp is critical and must be figured and monitored and the dwell time set appropriately.
Not sure what the exposure time was or the light source. But it did say that it was coated wet multiple times to the desired thickness which I would like to see.

· Registered
126 Posts
this being "T-Shirt" forum i guess i just assumed that it was for a garment or such. I know you said it was not your screen but do you know what it was it going to be used for? I just have a hard time understanding how you could have a ink that would not "spread" after printing and if it did not spread how thick and hard it would be to push though the screen? Im not making fun of anything, Im more interested in the application then anything.

· Registered
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this being "T-Shirt" forum i guess i just assumed that it was for a garment or such.
Your assumption would/could be correct. Stencils like this are commonly used to print garments that require a heavier ink deposit. An ink's viscosity could be such that it won't "spread" when printed. You wouldn't use a stencil like this for process inks for example. The stencil thickness controls the ink deposit. How easily the ink passes through the mesh has to do with thread count, tension, squeegee pressure and hardness etc.
A stencil like this would be used for this:

Attachments

· Registered
351 Posts
Think that's fun? Try your hand at coating a 24 mesh screen. We occasionally use these for printing glitter and the likes.

It's so course your emulsion falls through. We have to coat with cold emulsion because it's a bit thicker when it's cold.

Cap film is lithe hot ticket for these bad boys. And you can forget good detail. Straight line stuff or overprinting is about all you can do with them.

· Registered
2,152 Posts
I'd think you might be better off switching to a high viscosity emulsion if you were doing the stencil with emulsion--there's quite a range available, if you ask the right people.

Cap film is sweet, but I wanna say the last time I checked on a 23x31 screen size sheet it was like thirty five bucks. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.