T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all! i am using scarlet direct printing plastisol. it is new, never left open, and is thicker than the black which is also direct printing plastisol made by the same brand (international coatings). when i try to pull the ink down with the squeegee it is not smooth, and gets stuck. then the ink that is successfully printed is too thick and when the screen lifts up it pulls some off with it, so the image is uneven. i added reducer and stirred for a long while. i added about 1/2 pint to my one gallon container of ink. can any one recommend anything???

also, a few days before i used this ink it had sat in my car, but i don't think it had reached 100 degrees. but the temp may have changed during the day and at night. can this really affect the plastisol? anyone ever had problems with this?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
A couple things...........
First, did you stir your ink really well before using it? I doesn't sound like it was.
Secondly, when you lift your screen and a lot of the ink pulls off tells me that you don't have any off-contact. Ideally, you typically want the thickness of two pennies off-set.
You want your screen to pop off the shirt right after the squeegee lifts off.
I don't think your ink cured at all in your car, but I do think you have to stir stir stir.
Also, hmmmm, it could be older ink, but yes, adding the curable reducer could take care of that by replacing the moisture that's seems to be lacking in your ink.

hang in there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think that Denise is correct, it sounds like you need to stir the ink until it gets a little more runny. That should fix it. If you want to thin the ink you could try some curable reducer...

We have done that before. I would get a drill and a painters stirer and mix it first. If you add the reducer, add a little at a time.

Clean all the ink out of your screen and start over.

--------------------------

A cool thing to do with the the reducer is print only the reducer through the screen on an athletic grey shirt. The print looks like the shirt is wet in the prited area. Cool effect...

Hey, we where on a curable reducer thing and it pooped in my head.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I wouldn't add more than 2% curable reducer to any ink. You're using a decent ink, right out of the bucket. You shouldn't have any problems getting that ink through anything under a 230 with one pass. So that means you probably didn't have enough off contact. Raise it up to the suggested 2 pennies level and as long as your screen tension is higher than a screen door you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your help with all this!

I guess we stirred the ink when adding the reducer, but probably could have done a better job at that.
Off contact was fine at the time.. I think. Probably had more off contact than necessary. The ink was just that goopy when pulled. This is one of the first times we've used Plastisol, so we're still getting used to it though.

We worked with it, and worked it, to no avail. (Gallons are big amounts to stir.)

Sent the ink back to Nazdar (Ron in Ohio is really nice!) and they were very cool about the problem. More than cool. They are sending us a new batch as we speak, and Ron said that the viscosity of the first Scarlet was, in fact, thicker than the new one he is sending.

Hope this works... still got 60 shirts to do for that project.

Thanks again, and thanks to all. It really means a lot, and this has been a great welcome to the board.

Cheers,
Ryan (and Dani)
prismatic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts