T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am just starting off and am learning everything there is to know from your site ie: Silk Screen vs Heat Press, Which heat press to buy for my money, which transfers to get, what ink to use, where to get tshirts etc.

So far you guys have put me in this direction:

I bought a new Hobby Lite Hix for like 280(not much directions in there though)
I have an Epson cx4600 All in one that uses dura brite ink
I ordered 100 Transjet 2 now called majik jet
Haven't ordered any shirts yet but will probally get some locally before I order any big quanity from a wholesaler (over 25)

What else do I need?
Where can I order a refill kit with quality ink in it?
How is the process completed, once printed to the transfer Backwards of course, what is next?
Is there any shirts I shouldn't press too? ie: 100% cotton or preshrunk or blends washed or not washed.

Sorry so many questions but you guys and gals are raising me here so keep putting me in the right direction. Thanks Justin

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Looks like you're on the right track. I wouldn't really suggest a refill kit; if you want to save on ink you're going to want ti install a bulk ink system of some sort. I believe you can buy one (and Magic Mix inks to go with it) over at www.personalizedsupplies.com, and if youwant to ask about more information on BIS you might try asking over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Heat_Transfers_For_Desktop_Printers/.

After you print out your transfers, let them dry for 10-15 minutes. Cut up close to your printout (up to about 1/8th of an inch). Center the shirt on the heat press the best you can. Place the cut transfer face down on the shirt, making sure you have the right side up. If you have a teflon sheet (not required, but recommended) place it over the top of the transfer. The heat press should be set to some level of medium to heavy pressure; this may require a little tweaking. The tempreture should be about 375 degrees (there should be a thermometer on the press to show you if it is fully heated yet, it'll probably take 10-15 minutes on that small press to heat up). Swing the press around and close it for about 15 seconds (I just count in my head, some presses have built in timers and some people use external timers as well). After 15 seconds, pull the press open, swing the top platen out, and quickly remove the transfer paper with a firm force (not so much you just rip it though). And you're done! That's a basic overview anyway, there are areas that could be delved into for more info, so ask away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I checked out that bulk ink link and it is the same place I ordered my tpaper from I am checking the compatabillity with my epson cx4600 via there email. I also plan to start off doing only 20 shirts. I will let you all know how they come out later. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay now my problem is finding a Continuous ink system that will work with my CX4600 I just spent 2 hours looking for a compatable CIS and nothing nowhere. The only other alternative I can think of is to buy another epson printer that works well with most "CIS"es can anyone recomend one? or two?
Thanks for your help again,

Justin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts