T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new and just getting ready to order my equipment. I have one question about the transfers. Do you have to trim all transfers or can you do one that just the ink comes off when you press it.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Jeff,

With sublimation ink heat transfers, you can trim the excess paper if you wish. It just makes it easier to line up your transfer.

A reminder, when using sublimation transfers on hard products such as mugs, metal ,glass, etc... the product has to have a coating where it will accept the dye from the heat transfer.

Also as a reminder, sublimation does not work on 100% cotton as the dye sub inks will only penetrate man made fabrics such as spandex, polyester, nylon, etc..

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
50 Posts
jhughes656 said:
Do you have to trim all transfers or can you do one that just the ink comes off when you press it.
Thanks
Jeff
...with Screen printed type transfer only the ink comes off.

Mind you i have experimented feeding some of the same types of transfer paper used with screen printed transfers thru an old color lazer copy machine... and guess what ??? the laser toner/ink comes off the paper too :eek: .....well, not always a perfect transfer to the garment but.... :mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am talking about dye sublimation. So when you press a transfer onto a shirt dose the extra transfer paper stay on? or dose it all peel away? Thanks for all th help again I know I will be back.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hi!

As Jon said, only ink comes off the transfer. Lift off the paper and you are done.

You may need to play around with pressing time and pressure as the results may vary depending on texture and thickness of the fabric; thikness and quality of paper and type of inks.

I.e. - thicker paper can leave an impression of the transfer on a t-shirts; uncut paper may add unwanted shine to the fabric; too high temperature may "yellow" a shirt and alter transfer colours...

After some trial and error you will find perfect settings for your combination of equipment, consumables and sub-strates that will get you perfect results.:)

Your goal is to get most of the dye off the transfer and into the fabric without leaving press marks/shine.

I'm trimming my transfers unless the order is quite big - I believe it looks better.
There are different fabrics for sublimating, but you will need at least 65% polyester for good results.

If you have satin or microfibre type of fabric - trimming is a good idea as sometimes the fabric tends to shine when pressed.
If you are pressing t-shirts that look and feel like cotton (follow Dye-Sublimation Info. link on the left to read about Vapor Apparel) - shine/press marks are not much of an issue.

Good luck with your venture!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts