T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone

My friend and I are a little bit over trying to find good t-shirts for printing on so we've decided to develop the perfect tee! We are taking our sketches and ideas and are off to find a willing seamstress to make some samples. We know what we're looking for but just wondering what everyone else is looking for. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. After we've got our t-shirts together we'll be selling them on the web so stay tuned!

Together we can try to save the world one t-shirt at a time!

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I think there are already a lot of "perfect" tees out there for different markets.

Sometimes a Hanes tee is the perfect tee (general audience, no sizing issues, good initial feel on the beefy tee).

Sometimes an AmericanApparel tee is the perfect tee (younger audience, socially conscious, looking for that brand)

Sometimes an AlternativeApparel tee is perfect (vintage styling, super soft, lighter weight)

Sometimes a ProClub is the perfect tee (urban market, prefers oversized tees, larger sizes).

I haven't found a situation where I needed something completely outside of what the major (and minor) manufacturers already make. But as a t-shirt junkie, I'm always willing to try out a new t-shirt brand :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I agree there's stacks of great t-shirts out there - but on the other hand there's always room for improvement!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have use the Gildan 2000 instead of Hanes. There are 100% cotton 6.1 oz and cost less than Hanes.

Kent Worker

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
The Hanes tees (at least the Beefy) is "ring spun" cotton, which is much softer than the gildan 2000 and a better overall quality tee (in my personal opinion)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought Hanes 50/50, and I can't stand how they feel. they always have a new raspy feel and are kind of stuffy. I have a few shirts i bought a while back that are FOTL 100% cotton (heavy i think) and those feel awesome. I think I might order those next time.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I love the cut of Gildan, the price, and the range, but I find the arms a little baggy.

FOTL is good too....and better arms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about Gildan tees? I have been using them for a couple of years now, embroidery and screenprinting, and have found that the ultra cotton is by far the best with the most colors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What I think is really needed in the t-shirt market right now is SIZE! I have always been kind of big guy. Not really too chubby,but big. Alot of people I know also are always complaining about not finding the really cool shirts in their size. I can fit into a 3x but it's not really comfortable to me. I need a 4X for room length and comfort. Needless to say. It is really hard to find all the different baseball t-s, ringer t-s and even the manufactured shirts like the superman logo in any size larger than a 2X. Who wants to wear white or black all the time. So I say if you can make the specialty shirts in larger sizes. You can own the market. Trust me the demand is out there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tshirtwonderland said:
What I think is really needed in the t-shirt market right now is SIZE! I have always been kind of big guy. Not really too chubby,but big. Alot of people I know also are always complaining about not finding the really cool shirts in their size. I can fit into a 3x but it's not really comfortable to me. I need a 4X for room length and comfort. Needless to say. It is really hard to find all the different baseball t-s, ringer t-s and even the manufactured shirts like the superman logo in any size larger than a 2X. Who wants to wear white or black all the time. So I say if you can make the specialty shirts in larger sizes. You can own the market. Trust me the demand is out there.
i think this guy's already started on that

http://www.fatguyshirts.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, I think the offerings from most T-shirt companies is pretty weak. Right off the bat, Hanes, American Apparel, and at least 60% (guessing) of the t-shirts on the market have seamed collars. The manufacturing of seamless collars requires a special machine which knits ribbing in a tube instead of a sheet. Not all of the companies (especially the smaller ones) can afford these machines, and other companies (like AA, and Hanes) are just Cheap and Lazy.

Ring spun is better definitely, but it's rare you find it on a good shirt. Most of the t-shirts i've seen with ring spun jersey are otherwise bad shirts, so don't choose a shirt because of this.

Don't buy into American Apparel's propaganda on their website either. They hold themselves as these philanthopists because their clothing is made in the U.S. but understand that they're not the ones footing the bill for this choice, the consumer is. and $15 for a blank t-shirt is rediculous (and for a bad t-shirt at that!)

I'm waiting for a company to come along that will make a T-shirt with seamless collars, seamless torsos, 5.4oz ringspun cotton, and a decent fit. but so far, the best i've seen is 3 out of 4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts