T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I've been trying to make a banner for one of my web stores, Etsy. I'm using two different fonts - one is traditional (Arial), and the other is an fun one I downloaded (Jandles.) I made the banner in a little web-page-maker graphics program - not Photoshop or Illustrator which are beyond me - and saved it as a PNG at 72 DPI.
Well, I was really disappointed when my husband looked at it on his computer - my cute Jandles disappeared and was replaced by a boring old standard font. I realize he doesn't have Jandles on his system, but I thought I was saving this as a graphic, and that graphics would retain whatever font you chose because it is an "image," not text.
I am a total beginner at this and don't know HTML, but I'd like to know how to keep the fonts that I choose.

Thanks, Inkie

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It seems like your graphic program is saving it as a font somehow and not as a graphic.

Try saving it in a different format such as JPG and see if that helps. If not I would definitely recommend getting some better software. Photoshop and Illustrator might seem intimidating but there are a lot of free tutorials and information out there, and for something simple like what you're trying to do it won't be that long before you figure it out. :)

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
What software are you using? You might also want to convert it to curves before you save it.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Weird problem. PNG is capable of doing vector graphics (which would require the font), so I'm guessing that's the problem. Still, I wouldn't have expected it to do that either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jasonda, Dan, BobbieLee, and Lewis!

I'm REALLY happy with all your responses - it assures me that I was correct in my understanding about fonts and graphics. I was using Printmaster Platinum 16, which I had already uninstalled once because it was so bug-ridden! Obviously, I need better, more professional software.
The good news is that I just discovered that I can create design projects in Irfanview (which as you know, is a pretty thorough open source design/editing program) - I thought it was just an image editor. I will give that a try, and experiment with saving it in different graphic formats. If that doesn't work, I'll get ahold of GIMP.

Thanks once again,
Inkie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts