T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was wondering about graphic software. which programs are the easiest to use (i am a beginner) yet provide strong graphic editing and effects? also is there any software out there specificly for t-shirt design? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use cs2 also. I t is expensive though. The live trace is invaluable in Illy. I actually learned the basics of PS with the Elements version. It really is a pretty powerful program and usually comes bundled to hardware. The wascom pen tab came with it and I gave it to a brother that is getting into the stuff. Oscar

·
Registered
950 Posts
mrmagic2713 said:
hey guys, i was wondering about graphic software. which programs are the easiest to use (i am a beginner) yet provide strong graphic editing and effects? also is there any software out there specificly for t-shirt design? thanks in advance!
Photoshop is quite an excellent program, but I think you will find that Photoshop Elements will do what you need to do and it's easier to use. It also costs far less than Photoshop. I would start with that and see if you even want to upgrade from there.

If you are doing vector work, then Illustrator is great, but there are many others out there as well. If you are planning on working mostly with text at first, there are even free vector programs that are easy enough.

That said, as you gain experience, you can't go wrong with Photoshop and Illustrator.

Freehand and Fireworks are also pretty good.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any Corel Draw users out there. I purchased this program because the artist that I use recommended it (only because he uses Flexi-sign and that software works better with Corel than Adobe......or so I was told). I basically want a program where all I have to do is print from a cd after the artist saves the work. That way I can make my own screens whenever and only have to rely on the shop for original artwork that we work on together. Seems to be going smmothly so far but I have heard that AI is much more newbie friendly.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I have CorelDraw, but I'm no expert at it :)

It does seem a bit easier to use than photoshop, but not by too much.

I think most of the software applications listed (photoshop/illustrator/corel/freehand) will all have a big learning curve for a newbie just starting out creating graphics. If you're serious about it, you'll have to spend time going through the tutorials and practicing if you want to get good at creating the graphics.

I've also used PaintShopPro, and that seemed easier than the others, but it has limited vector drawing capabilities (but I've still used it successfully to create artwork to send to a screen printer)

·
Registered
5 Posts
coreldraw is the best application for tshirt graphics preperation. and yes, like any software, you need to practice a lot to get it down. be patient and learn. soon enough you'll master the program youre using.

there are specific programs out there for seperating colors from bitmaps. things like simulated process and spot color seperations. in my opinion this is where the heat press guys should be putting their efforts. instead of inkjeting on transfer paper, displaying a complex color composition, you can do the same screen printing. check out fastfilms.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi

Has anyone tried Painter, I think it could be good if you are doing direct print t-shirts where the number of colours doesn't effect price. I have the cut down version Painter essentials, the new version of which looks great as you can do effects which look like real oil paint. Great to use with a drawing tablet. I haven't tried a t-shirt with it yet though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find the Fireworks of Macromedia one of the user-friendly softwares. I used this when I started in making designs. But now, I'm a Photoshop CS2 user... :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've been doing shirt design and separations for about 3 years and I'd have to say Corel Draw wins hands down. It's much more userfriendly than illustrator or photoshop.

I also use Corel Draw for most of my other graphic design projects not relating to screen printing. It's really what you're most comfortable with, but I find Corel to be much more intuitive and easy to learn. The pen tool blows away Illustrator's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts