T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9,603 Posts
Explain spot colors? Generally the colors on a shirt is something like WYSIWYG. The colors you see on the shirts are printed with inks of that same color unlike CMYK where colors are derived from CMYK or other primaries.

I think halftones are still spot colors if it has the same color as the ink you printed it with. Meaning, it is not a transparent shade on top of another color giving a new color.

· Registered
2,941 Posts
How can I explain that I can print multiple colors, SOLID colors, not halftone shaded colors?

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

You just wrote it. Yes, spot colors are solid (not halftones).
But, you should just say : Multi color spot printing.
Most customers don't understand the lingo anyway, so when it comes to talking to them and they ask you specifics, just tell them.

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just wrote it. Yes, spot colors are solid (not halftones).
But, you should just say : Multi color spot printing.
Most customers don't understand the lingo anyway, so when it comes to talking to them and they ask you specifics, just tell them.
Oh geeze. Ur right. I could say it's magic for all they know lol.

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

· Registered
545 Posts
If you do not have a printer that will print half tones for the films then you can simply say that you only print solid colors-not fading or blends.

We were in the same situation for a while when we first started. If we HAD to produce it then we outsourced it.

We chose to outsource instead of turn them away. The majority of orders are simple-1 color or simple multi color jobs. Even after 4 years in the biz-not that many orders by % are considered more complex than what we could have done the first month we bought the equipment.

It does take a little while to get used to explaining your capabilities in the sales process-but then again-I think it a GREAT idea to do what you can in house and out source the rest instead of telling them you can not do a job.

But that is just my thoughts.

· Registered
2,940 Posts
Coming from an offset printing background, like BroJames I've always thought of spot colors as anything but process, regardless of whether or not is was printed as a halftone, gradient, or whatever.

· Registered
3,663 Posts
Q: What is spot-color? A: Spot-Color is the term used to describe separation and printing with one ink color for every color in the design. Each color that makes up the composite image will be printed using a separate screen.
Example:
"Spot" Color Design - 2 solid colors Original Black Yellow Design Colors
Separations
A slightly more advanced type of spot-color uses halftones to create the appearance of a gradient using small dots of the solid ink colors.
Example:
"Spot" Color Design - 1 solid color + gradient Original Black Red Design Colors
Separations
This technique can be taken a step farther to combine two gradient screens and produce the appearance of more colors then are actually being printed. The small dots being printed so close together trick the eye into seeing the color they make when mixed.
Example:
"Spot" Color Design - 1 solid color + 2 gradients Original Black Red Yellow Design Colors
Separations

· Registered
9,603 Posts
then the information i posted earlier is partly wrong..here's the reference:
FAQ -=> Artwork
I wouldn't say it's wrong. I keep it simple for my customers. I tell my customer spots are solid colors.

How do you print the gradients?
Let's try not to be too sensitive or too defensive. There is simply a difference of opinion, or misunderstanding(if you will) but no one is saying about anything being "wrong". Even if someone is, let's try to keep the discussion healthy by elaborating.

Chard, the information you posted is correct but you can also just "quote" or "link" the information so any "questions" or contrary opinion is directed to the source of the information. Also, the images you copied with the text did not fall into their proper places (in my computer) so maybe that made it less clear.

Brice. Yes, sometimes it is better not to be too detailed especially if a customer is the type who simply wants to know if you can get the job done. You are correct that spot colors are solid colors. But halftones, unless its color are achieved through the blending of 2 or more colors, should also be spot colors. That is how I understand spot colors to be - colors on the shirt are the same as the colors of the inks and not colors blended from 2 or more inks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.