T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was skimming through the post and saw one, in which someone asked whether he can print red and Yellow,... on a black t-shirt, and the answer was NO!!
How can the printer know that the garment is black?!
Yellow and red are lighter than black so they can be easily come on the black?
any ideas?

· Registered
408 Posts
Hi,

Inks printed from the brother and other DTG printers are "transparent" so the color of the shirt shows through. So if you printed say "yellow" on black you would only see "the black shirt" and a wet spot where the ink printed.

So if someone wants to print on a dark or black shirt they would need to first "print a layer" of white ink and then go back and print the color inks on top of it. The Brother printer doesn't print white ink so you can't print on a black shirt.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Angela... You helped a lot.
What u mean is anything can be printed on the garment,using brother, as long as the inks are darker than the garment's color.Right? So I can print black on a brown shirt and Dark blue on green?
Another thing is,if the inks are transparent, if I for instance print something blue on a yellow shirt, the resulting printout would be green???

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Angela is correct the ink has to be darker than the shirt
yes you can print black on brown and dark blue on green. The ink will be blue it will not green if printed on ayellow shirt. What she means is for instance you print a picture with white eyes on a green shirt the eyes will be green (the color of the shirt because the brother gt541 does not print white ink)
If you print a picture and the eyes are green and it is printed on a yellow shirt the eyes will be green because you do not need white underbase if the eyes are already green.

I hope that makes some sense if not let me know and I will try to explain better. but what ever you are printing will be that color unless there is white in the image and then where it should be white will be the color of the shirt

· Registered
408 Posts
Maybe this will help it's a chart i made up for my customers to give them an idea what ink colors will print on certain shirt colors.

See in the photo i have the same graphic printed on different shirt colors. The basketball player's uniform has white areas for the "inside area of the shirt" and on the "sides of his pants". Look at each shirt color and see how those areas are the actual shirt color because the Brother DTG doesn't print white ink. This is the same for those that use inkjets, laser printers, etc. to print transfers (unless the printer can print white ink) then these areas that are white in the design will be the color of the shirt.

----------------------- My Chart Info -------------------------

6.1 oz T-shirt Color Chart

Below is a list of the most common Shirt Colors. We don't offer all these available color at our "DIGITAL" store due to how the ink colors print on them. Please refer to the color shirt you are considering and see if the ink colors you want have an X indicating they will print well on that garment color.

------- PLEASE READ ------​

• PHOTOS: If the design has a photo we will only print the design on White or Natural Shirt Colors
  • WHITE IN DESIGN: The process we use to print shirts at the digital store doesn't offer white ink therefore we can't print CERTAIN INK COLORS on "Dark Shirts" and if a design "MUST" have white in it "PLEASE CHOOSE A WHITE SHIRT".

The photo below shows how a design that has "white area in it" (the player's top and side of pants) and how those area look when printed on various shirt colors.

So all said if "white" is not important in your design feel free to choose a "colored" shirt. If you must have a photo in your design or want the white areas "WHITE" then choose a white shirt.
* means that the fabric has specs in it and they show through noticably the ink colors

Note: Anvil Brand t-shirts were use to compile this chart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.