T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I havw been making designs on tshirts and untill now did not have any probem. Last week I have started to work with 2*1 rib tank top and when people try them on the heat transfer was breaking up.I have design made especially for the tank tops , is there anybody that can help?
The tank top is fitted from american apparel.
Thanks and have a wonderfull weekend.
Limor

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I think ribbed shirts might be a bit too "stretchy" for heat pressing.

Because the garment can flex quite a bit, it might cause problems for the transfer (even screen printing has to be done "just right" on ribbed garments.

It probably can be done, but it might take a bit of extra work (which hopefully the heat press experts here can help out with :) )

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Limor
What kind of heat transfer are you using? If you are using basic transfer papers for inkjet printers then you might run into the issue when the tank is stretched. Basically, what is happening is that the thin layer of film that is transferred over to the tank is breaking apart when stretched. Unfortunately, most & I think all papers for inkjet printers do not have elasticity to produce good results on stretchablle fabrics. There are a cadcut films that are stretchable as well as pre printed laser copy transfers. I would recommend checking with your paper supplier to see if they have any tips or tricks for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check with the company that you purchased your press from and make sure that the temperature is correct and that there is not some special process that you need to do with ribbed t-shirts. I have had ink crack because it was not the correct mix of ink on regular silkscreening and I have to believe that this is a process issue. good luck!

·
Registered
651 Posts
When I do tanks that are or anyother strechy material with heat transfers I stetch the shirt on the heat press and keep it stetched untill done. and have had very little problems with cracking and braking.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Two [rob;ems first you are using a Ribbed shirt. If your going to use rib for transfers use baby rib only. 2nd you are using a transfer. Thats what transfers do crack

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Jetprosofstretch hasn't cracked in my experience and I've been using it since it came out. While it does stretch with cotton and cotton blends, I haven't used it on a ribbed like this one.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Yea I think the problem is the gap between ribs that the transfer will not go in. Baby rib would definately work better. I have tried on 2 x 1 rib before and the results are not that great.

Reactions: Girlzndollz

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had the same problem before. I tried different transfer paper with same result. I guess transfer paper is not a good materials to use on this type of fabric since the paper has a limitation on how much it would stretch and if you go beyond that, it will start cracking. I guess the other way to print on this is using a water base ink or a good mix of plastisol for stretch fabric.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
What I mean by Jetpro not cracking is that Jetpro will show the white in between the weave on cotton and cotton/poly blends when the shirt is stretched, but when the stretch is over - the shirt regains it's original appeal. It doesn't retain a 'cracked' look like other papers I've seen.

Since ribbed shirts like this always have a stretch once they are on a body, the white in between the weave will probably show as well. That's why I tend to stay away from ribbed, I don't get a good feeling that they'll look too good for that reason. It's nice to know baby rib is something I might be able to try. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
When I do tanks that are or anyother strechy material with heat transfers I stetch the shirt on the heat press and keep it stetched untill done. and have had very little problems with cracking and braking.
I know of another member who does this as well and says it is no problem this way. They say lower the upper platen and stretch the shirt. (?) Is that how you do this? Just curious, I'm a bit too nervous of ribbing for the same reason the OP is saying, but would like to know what real possibilities are out there that I may use if I need to.

I guess my other main question is also how does the image look when the shirt is done pressing and not stretched? Does it look odd at all - as if some of the image is missing (lost in between the ribs/weave)? I"m guessing not - since otherwise, haha, you would't be doing this, but I like to ask anyway. Thanks so much! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts