T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder if as technology advances and DTG printers evolve will we start seeing places like Office Max or Staples offer DTG printing,maybe even replacing screenprinting all together
Just like in the old days before full color copiers where around you had to go to a print shop to have anything done and now you can get full color copies
instantly for less then a dollar.
I think there is even a franchise in Chicago called 1 hour shirts advertising same day shirts.
Honestly I think this is the infancy stage of DTG printing and its bound to happen.
Look how far they have already come.
Look at the bright side of it.If these large office and print franchises eventually do this ultimately pushing out the little guy then we can always get a job with them since we have the know how on running these machines.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
I think there will be a market for screen printing as long as their are artists practicing in the medium. A blacksmith can still earn a living. A film photographer is still viable. Micro brewing didn't get shut down by busche. There are reasons screen printing is desired and those things will not change. Also a bad image printed dtg is still a bad image. Crap Is crap not matter where or how it is made.

My two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there will be a market for screen printing as long as their are artists practicing in the medium. A blacksmith can still earn a living. A film photographer is still viable. Micro brewing didn't get shut down by busche. There are reasons screen printing is desired and those things will not change. Also a bad image printed dtg is still a bad image. Crap Is crap not matter where or how it is made.

Good points but crap can also be done with screen printing as well, but its not a matter of which one is better.Screenprinting will always have it place.
As you said just like photography will but unfortunately there are a lot of photographers that have lost work due to digital technology(my dad can testify to that)
DTGP doesnt take away from artists
practicing in the medium.It actually makes it easier.What used to be ,and still is a hastle through screenprinting is now a matter of pressing a button and instantly put on a shirt whatever your imagination can think of no screens needed and for that reason alone I think it will become more predominant and more sought after in the future.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Your points are on target and pretty much in line with my points my argument is that there will always be the "you screen printed THAT?" factor. The hassle is seen as a craft persons endeavor and there will always be a segment that appreciate the blood sweatband tears that go into a screened image. In this case the printer becomes an artist printing art whether it's their art or another's artist's. You are correct it is not a question in quality of the final product (but right now with tech as it is there is still a big difference in both directions) it is a question of appreciating and seeking the work of skilled artisans rather then joe off the street that hits a print button or busts out the yudu. Go to Craig's lists and look at the photographers claiming to be professional wedding photos. Owning a cannon d7 and a decent light kit or what not doesn't make you an artist until you develop the eye and skills to use it rather then letting the point and shoot features use you to take a picture.

It's for those reasons I can't see Dtg replacing screen printing. When the market becomes flushed with cheap in expensive Dtg then the market will swing back to screen printing or a new technology will come into play. Like LCD fabric capable of presenting any image on the users phone but still feels like 6.1 oz cotton. :) Not to mention once the zombie apocalypse happens and the power grid is disrupted we will still need a way to print witty slogans onto apparel. My pump action shotgun, ax and manual press are waiting patiently in the wings.

· Premium Member
4,536 Posts
When these machines get to the point where they truly are plug and play, we'll see companies like you mention take advantage of it. At the moment, there are too much technical things to consider, even with the simplest to use machines.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Also, don't forget that the screen printing industry has not stood still and is still innovating!

Auto emulsion coaters, faster autos, computer-to-screen prints that eliminate printing of positives, auto shirt removers......

I'd be interested to see what happens in the next 10 years for both methods of printing - I'd love to see an auto shirt loader in the screen industry, Oh, and an auto screen cleaner and reclaimer........ ;)

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I remember when they had this argument over the quality and technology of digital cameras and how nothing would ever be the same as true flim photoraphy.
Or when color copiers first came out back when we just had b/w zerox machines and the only way to do any color was with a printing press.
I dont know if DTG will ever reach the quality that screenprinting will for some applications which means their will always be a place for screenprinting but honestly I think in todays society its all about getting it "now" from fast downloads to sending pictures texts etc the need for speed outways the need for quality with many people.
Fast forward in the future and take the average joe that walks into 1 Hourt Tees or Office Max with his USB flash drive and says he wants his full color artwork printed on shirts done for his car show for the weekend,and they can.. thats huge.
Plus some of these DTG machines are putting out some beautiful full color prints that screenprinting just cant do.
But again this is not a screenprinting vs DTG argument but more of but rather a look down the road at where DTGP is going.
There is a reason places like this 1 Hour Tees are franchising because as long as there is the need for speed and instant gratifcation then it will continue to grow and eventually will maybe not put screenprinters
out of business but will definitely will have an impact in the industry if DTG technology moves faster the sceenprinting or heat transfer etc technology.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
IMHO only.
We got into DTG (Neoflex), as this medium being technology based, we bet on a curve for this printing method just like computers progress. Shirts on demand is here. However, it is still not a process for the untrained. Far from it. If the speed, ink and maintenance issues are resolved, I can see screen printing moving to things like glitter, gels, and such, that don't work with current printhead technology.

The improvements in the DTG process will occur with the big dollar units first (maybe Aeoon) and then drop into the less expensive models.

It's not there yet, but if you look at the huge number of used DTG machines out there, the public wants them, and will keep buying them, until they become as ubiquituos as our desktop printers.

· Registered
354 Posts
There are shops that will sell you 300 white t's printed for $3 each all inclusive. The DTG machines have a long way to go to compete with that. And you can make good money printing $3 shirts if you are set up for it.
Also the Quick Print store and Walmarts won't have the space to
do large jobs. They will be fighting it out for the small jobs that
the screen printers don't want and with the turnover in personnel in these stores there will be a lot of junk printed.
I screen print and have a DTG so I know both sides.
20 years ago when embroidery machines were greatly improved
they said it would take over screen printing but it only increased
the decorated garment business.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are shops that will sell you 300 white t's printed for $3 each all inclusive. The DTG machines have a long way to go to compete with that. And you can make good money printing $3 shirts if you are set up for it.
Also the Quick Print store and Walmarts won't have the space to
do large jobs. They will be fighting it out for the small jobs that
the screen printers don't want and with the turnover in personnel in these stores there will be a lot of junk printed.
I screen print and have a DTG so I know both sides.
20 years ago when embroidery machines were greatly improved
they said it would take over screen printing but it only increased
the decorated garment business.
Yea thats a good point
for the larger jobs I think screenprinting is the way.
I think its market will be the smaller jobs which may or may not be worthit.
But then again out of curiosity awhile back ago I called this 1 Hour Tees annd picked thier brain.
They make a killing on just printing on light tees.
They sub out the large orders and darks.
There machines dont even print white as of yet.
I think they where using the Brother non white ink model
But where going to switch over soon but im not sure thats a good Idea especially if you dont have the right people to run an maintain these in a production situation.
But anyways I think they are a prime example of where the market is going with DTG printing especially if machines get easier to use and lower in price.

· Registered
354 Posts
For 7 years people have been waiting for lower prices. My t-jet cost $10,995.00 7
years ago and that's cheap to today's prices. I think the problem is you really
can't take off the shelf inkjet heads for the ink we use to get the speed and
trouble free printing that DTG users are seeking. The cost of new head
technology will keep improved printers high because our industry is small
in total numbers.

The garment decorating business does not work will absentee owner which
makes it a nightmare for the chain stores and helps keep it in the small
business category.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The guy that I bought my used Tjet2 from sold it
and turned around and bought a $3495.00
Easy T printer with only color capablity,no white
and has a $10 hour guy printing shirts for him all day.
He doesnt need to be there for the most part.
As far as underbasing and white ink high maintainence issues I agree but I think anybody with half a brain and and the desire to learn can be trained to at least run a non white printing set up.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
I think when you start to see the day when dtg printers are printing t-shirts as fast and cheap as screen printing is the day that screen printing will take a back seat. No matter the learning curve, people will want to learn this method. I'm interested to see how fast this will happen but don't think it will happen as fast as some people might think. Even with how fast technology is rapidly expanding. Hell I thought they would be selling flying cars by now!;)

· Registered
621 Posts
The Third industrial revolution where technologies, like DTG printers, break down all barriers to entry.

I have heard since it inception that DTG printers will take over the world and they will even be in K-mart. We have also heard the talk of retail shops been replaced kiosks.

Who knows, what I do know that properly marketed, there is always place in this world for good quality printers and good service.

Secondly for limited colours DTG can never cope with a carousel's economies of scale, over 52 mark (yet)

Thirdly the high cost of white ink is stifling the growth in this market.

· Registered
130 Posts
The future of DTG needs 1 thing to happen to make it much more viable. Eliminate the pre-treat process.
I can see this happening with what I refer to as "hockey puck" inks, like die-sub inks.
Print directly on a shirt, and post-treat (I don't see that going away anytime soon).
And, having the right spare parts laying around for your machine (that $2 plastic piece which is known
to fail costs $25 after you make a generous donation to Fed Ex to get it the next day. Now THAT'S
a business model). There is MANY small, cheap things you should have on hand.

I know. I was the QC person at US Screen for the Blazer printers. I had a huge box of these "parts"
handy all the time, and in my tool set when I was sent out for installs/repairs.

Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.