T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

Obviously new to the forum and somewhat new to the t-shirt industry. Just because I've been wearing them all of my life doesn't mean I understand everything that goes into them.

My wife & I are starting a company of our own and everything we've found on the Internet and especially this forum has been really helpful. I've done a search for this information but I've not really found what I'm looking for... I'm wanting to know the entire process of getting a t-shirt from start to finish. That sounds a little vague so I'll try my best to be more specific.

So... I find a wholesaler... Jerico, Alstyle Apparel, Blankstyle... whatever. So I place my order and get a few dozen shirts sent to me.

Now what?

Do I take them to a screen printer? And if I can't find one locally, just drop 'em in the mail? And where do they go from there? I want to have custom labels put in the shirts. I don't have any equipment of my own, unfortunately. I know shipping a shirt without a label is illegal... so judging from the information I've read on the website, either myself or my wife could probably remove the labels with relative ease. She is somewhat versed with a sewing machine and has a fundamental understanding of the basics... but even if she removes the labels, this brings up the previous issue that we couldn't ship them without them, correct?

So... I guess this is even more confusing to me. Would I get the shirt from the wholesaler, ship them out to someone who can remove the tag and then sew in our custom tags? And then would they ship them out to the screenprinter? I don't have any company specifically in mind for any of these tasks... I'm just asking questions.

My wife really wants "tagless" labels. But I want to obtain the research that shows the cost breakdown of have "tags" versus "tagless labels" on our shirts. Sorry for the rambling but I'm really interested in knowing what everyone else does to see this process from beginning to end. :confused: ...help?

- Scott.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Do I take them to a screen printer?
You could skip the process of buying the t-shirts and taking them to a screen printer and just go directly to the printer. Tell them what shirts you want and have them source them at wholesale. That way the printer gets the shirts shipped directly to their shop.

Some printers will also relabel your shirts for you (there are also businesses that "just" do relabeling that you can send your blanks and labels to).

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
to be honest with you, perhaps test market your designs/shirts first on Cafe Press or other places like that. As you go, learn about all aspects you need to know, this will take a little time.

If you search around the board you will find a lot of info from some brilliant people here who have ventured off to start a t-shirt biz.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...interesting. I didn't know that. Will most any screen printer source any of the shirts at wholesale costs? So, are we talking about a one-stop shop that more or less does *everything*? I've not found one of those yet. Someone that will give me the shirts I want at wholesale prices... screenprint my designs... design my labels... remove the sand shirt label and then sew mine in... and then ship me the finished product. I mean, I've found shirt wholesalers. I found people that do labels. I found screen printers. But what am I missing? I have it in my head that it's this long arduous process where the shirt has to go to this person... and then get shipped here... and then go here... and then go here... and then several weeks pass where I'm assuming the finished product is drop shipped to me.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Will most any screen printer source any of the shirts at wholesale costs?
I'm pretty sure that most any screen printer "can" source the shirts at wholesale costs. They usually add a small amount to cover the shipping costs to get the shirts to their shop.

Some folks have found savings doing the wholesale shirt sourcing themselves and taking it to a printer that doesn't markup their printing prices based on them supplying the shirts.

I prefer to try to get it all (or as much as possible) done in one place to help cut down on time/work for me.

If you check the boards at http://boards.screenprinters.net, you can post a classified ad there with your needs to see if you can find an "all-in-one" place that will handle it.

I do know that such places exist though.

Keep talking to screen printers and see exactly how much they can do. Ask them if they can source you shirts from Jerico, AAA, etc. Ask them if they can sew in labels for you, if not, ask them if they know of a company that does it. It's probably a common request and if they don't do it, they probably have sources to help you get it done.

Someone that will give me the shirts I want at wholesale prices... screenprint my designs... design my labels... remove the sand shirt label and then sew mine in... and then ship me the finished product
They probably won't print the labels in house. You would either need to supply the labels or they would use one of their label suppliers.

You might have to pay extra to have their art deparment design a label for you, or they might throw it in if you can negotiate it :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rodney - thanks for the info. At this point, I'll have to pick up the phone and determine exactly what can and cannot be done from the screenprinter's standpoint. Common knowledge, I know... but there really are a lot of little individual steps that the poor t-shirt has to go through before it is ultimately ready for resale. :)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
T-BOT said:
perhaps test market your designs/shirts first on Cafe Press or other places like that.

To be honest, I don't think that would be entirely helpful. You won't learn any of the guts of running a business you're supposed to be trialing, nor is the market for DGT the same as the screenprinted market.

It's a little like a grocer trialing a new bricks and mortar store by selling bananas on eBay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts