T-Shirt Forums banner

The dreaded error 10004

[Flexi-Jet Model L] 
8K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  BQChris 
#1 ·
well .. i finally got an error ..

i was cleaning out those bad inks and flushed the head out...for some reason after it was all back together i got the error 10004 code ..

i know enough that it was the encoder scale or sensor, or maybe a connection.

I am stumped cause i checked evrything . Do i have to call the epson rep??

Here is what i am thinking of checking as per the repair manual

1. Check to see if the CR Scale for detection of the encoder pulse is
removed.
2. Check for dirt, paper dust or damage to the CR Scale.
3. Check if connection of the CR Encoder Sensor connector or Motor
Assy., CR connector.

4. Perform the
CR Timing Belt Tension Adjustment

Repalce the encoder strip
5. Replace the CR Encoder Sensor
6. Replace the Motor Assy., CR
7. Replace the C593 MAIN Board

i am going to go through it again, but does anyone have any suggestions

See less See more
#4 ·
Peter,

Dan pointed me in the right direction on what to check. Thanks Dan.

It turned out to be the small ribbon cable that ran from the sensor to the small main board.

Due to taking the head cover off and on from when the printer was new, it ended up breaking the cable. As you know the cable has a small bend in it from factory. that is where it let go. You would have never noticed it if not looking for it. //and it looked fine . but when i put it under the light, you could see it was weak at that joint. Anyhow i cut it off and took a razor blade and stripped off a new section of poly (exposing the ribbon wires) and put it back in place. And that was it.

While i had the side covers off, i got rid of that dam clicking sound by tightning the belt cable a tad, and fixing up the ink lines the way the should be. I also cleaned up the cap station and inspected it. the printer seems to be running better now than when i got it .. no noises .. very quiet.

Only thing left, is one top fan motor whines a bit ..

It appears the rubber around the capping station on one side is a bit worn as well. I will look at changing that soon as well.

Its all good. And I am understanding the machine more and more .. I would rather have problems now than when its production time.

#5 ·
I have a similar problem.When I turn printer on the head/carriage assembly just moves to the left then stops and I see 10004 error. I changed small printer cable but did not help. Could the board be bad?
Also my on/off switch on the printer seems to be bad. It works sometimes and when it does it takes about 10 seconds before the screen shows any display. Is this part available from BQ or from DTG Inks?

#7 ·
I did all that. What puzzles me is that sometimes the printer will do the start up clean and will start moving forward after pressing the green button then it stops and error appears and sometimes it just appears before start up. Today i'm going to remove the encoder strip and clean it,clean the encoder wheel and reseat all the cables that are readily accessible. will let you know the results(you won't have to PM me to find out what it was).

#17 · (Edited)
When does the error occur? Before powering on move the printhead carriage to the middle and power on. If you get a immediate left right movement and then the error that means that you have absolutely no linear encoder signal going back the the mainboard. In this case I would just start with replacing parts starting with the encoder, encoder sensor and small ribbon cable. If that doesn't do it then keep following the signal all the way back to the main board.

If the carriage makes it home and then errors I would take a look at the belt tension, positioning and condition.

This is not a complete list, there are several circumstances that can lead to this error. Hope this helps.

#18 · (Edited)
When does he error occur? Before powering on move the printhead carriage to the middle and power on. If you get a immediate left right movement and then the error that means that you have absolutely no linear encoder signal going back the the mainboard. In this case I would just start with replacing parts starting with the encoder, encoder sensor and small ribbon cable. If that doesn't do it then keep following the signal all the way back to the main board.

If the carriage makes it home and then errors I would take a look at the belt tension, positioning and condition.

This is not a complete list, there are several circumstances that can lead to this error. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that brings a little more clarity to what is going on. I have replaced all the parts on top. The encoder strip, board, sensor and harness. I was pretty much focused on the encoder with this error, but I lose it going back to the main board. I, also, replaced the circuit board on the front where the head cables plug into and I know that the 3 cables on the other side go back to the main board. I've checked them over and over, but they are plugged in. I checked the f6 and (I believe) the f2 fuses for continuity and they were good. I have new cables, but I haven't replaced them, yet. The head will start to mover, then errors. I put a new belt on recently and have changed the tension back and forth. It doesn't seem to be too tight or too lose, but I don't know how to actually test that. Actually I have it on the same mark where it was working so I don't think there is a problem with the tension. I think it's, like you said farther an encoder signal problem down toward the main board. I hate being stumped like this! ..

#19 ·
Also check that the belt is secured in the belt clamp properly. There are three tabs on the top of the belt clamp. If one of those tabs break off then the clamp will not securely hold the belt.

To check that the belt is securely attached to the carriage, remove the belt from the motor. Place one hand on the carriage and with the other hand pull n the belt and see if it moves. If it does most likely one of those tabs broke off.

Also while the belt is off the motor I recommend cleaning out all the teeth on the gear. Ink and debris can build upon that motor and basically turn it into a pulley instead of a gear.

Very rarely does the CR motor fail but in the Epson documentation there is a service life on them. I would try replacing that as well.

#20 ·
I have a Direct Advantage. Ink had gotten on the deck that holds the capping station.
After I cleaned it I got the 10004. It will not even start to move the carriage. It has a faint buzz then the error. I have cleaned and checked the encoder strip and changed the motor and sensor.
Looking deeper I found that ink had dripped on the sub board on the side behind the cap station.
Would that give me the error and would it need to be replaced
Thank for any help.

#24 ·
You say that this happened after you cleaned the ink from around the capping station. Make sure the capping station isn't binding or restricting the head. The slightest amount of load will cause that error. Also, be very, sure that all is good with the encoder strip and the sensor and be sure the harness (small cable) that connects to the encoder sensor is not burned. Another thing to check is that all the cables that go to the board you replaced are in good shape and weren't crimped when you re-inserted them. This error can be caused by the simplest thing. Once you find it, everything will be back to normal. :)

#25 ·
To add to Zippy's advice, try running this test. Turn the power off to the machine, undock the carriage unit from the capping station and move it to the left side of the machine. Turn the power back on and watch the carriage unit. It will creep back towards the capping station or at least it should.

1. If it fails immediately and throws the error, something is wrong with the encoder pulse. Most likely a bad encoder sensor, small ribbon cable, yellow encoder sub board, or head ribbon cables.

2. If it does creep back towards the capping station but fails before reaching it, most likely the encoder strip has something wrong with it(scratched, bent) or some thing is causing the carriage unit to bind up. Check the area that it failed in for anything unusual.

3. If it makes it to the capping station and fails, this suggests something is either misaligned in the capping station, like Zippy suggested, or the Home sensor is most likely dirty and needs to be cleaned. I have attached a picture of the Home sensors location and the orange circle is where you need to clean. The sensor is horse shoe in shape. Clean within the horse shoe with alcohol(with the power off to the machine) and a cloth and let the alcohol evaporate.

Attachments

#27 ·
The carriage does not even try to move the right before it errors when starting from the left side of the machine? This is abnormal and suggests that the motor is not working. Even if there was something wrong with the encoder pulse, the motor will always try to start, jerk the carriage unit to the right quickly, then error. If the carriage is not moving at all on startup, there is something wrong with the CR motor or it is not getting voltage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.