T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are a few PREMIUM ringspun blank brands available... that I KNOW OF... that fill the criteria a nice soft feel and premium material and material wash. Also, how do they handle in screen printing, how do they hold up in washings, how do they hold their original size (shrinkage), and who retains the original quality the longest.

Lets say 1 to 5 is the rank here. 1 is the worst and 5 being the best.

How would you rank them? AND WHY?

Also, if you have any to add please feel free but also ad the specs as well or link to brands site for more details.

Brand - style #

Pacific Sports - PM30, PM30ESW, PMSF
Alstyle Apparel - 1701
M&O - 5500, 3500, 4800, 5501
American Apparel - 2001, 4400
Cygnus Sportswear - 1000, 7000

Hanes, Gildan, Anvil all excluded on purpose. They are not as good quality in my opinion as these mentioned above.

Let the battle begin! haha! ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to add another brand.... Bare Apparel. Just seen them today. Kinda pricey though. No size chart on the site is a big problem.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Is the American Apparel ringspun?
Yup.

As for which is best...

M&O for cheap, Alternative for quality, American for ubiquity (customer familiarity not being irrelevant).

Alstyle are okay, but if I was spending that I'd rather buy American Apparel and have the name and the made in the US backing.

Pacific Sports and Cygnus I haven't tried.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm going to add another brand.... Bare Apparel. Just seen them today. Kinda pricey though. No size chart on the site is a big problem.
Hey- did you happen on our site today, or did you see us at the Imprinted Sportswear Show?

We do have size charts on our site- they are available on each product page. Scroll down to where it says "description" in red, and right next to it is the "size guide."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Alternative for quality
For me Alternative is out. Alternative Apparel is really cut small. I think that's the only tee I have not purchased or received as a sample.

I always look at specs based on a Men's 2XL since that's what I wear and I think they are like 30" body length whereas most are between 32.5" to 33". Thats important, especially after wash shrinking.

Also sleeve lengths and neck hole openings are always key to look at. An 8.5" neck opening on a 2XL is trouble... and if the sleeves are really short thats not good either. At least not for my demographic (which would not be considered 'smedium' wears).

Cygnus 1000 5.8oz is pretty nice but its a 20 singles cotton so its a bit rough for a ringspun. Their thinner slimfit 7000 tee's are nice at 30 singles with a finish on both inside and outside and they have a tear-away tag on either one which is awesome. They have a 7" neck opening on the 7000 which is ok. Perhaps a half inch too tight though? Sleeves are descent. The gripe is in the weight at 4.5oz on the 7000 it feels like a tee made out of panty hoes! Might be good for Cali but East Coast is not to place to rock these thin tees.

I've also tried Canvas which I think is made by Hanes. Again... a great soft comfortable ringspun tee and I think its even 40 singles! But again... super thin at 4.6 or 4.8oz. And the neck on those is horrible wide... I think 8.5" and sleeves are tiny. The Cygnus 7000 style beats these in the thin slimfit category.

I wonder how the Bare Apparel tees compare to these?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey- did you happen on our site today
I happened upon the site today by way of Google search. I'll have to take a look at the specs on your page. I honestly did not see anything resembling the link to size specs... but I will check that out now. You might want to make that more prominent on your site. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea the Canvas tee has a great smooth feel but the extra wide neck and tiny sleeves are horrible.

·
Registered
286 Posts
For me Alternative is out. Alternative Apparel is really cut small. I think that's the only tee I have not purchased or received as a sample.

I always look at specs based on a Men's 2XL since that's what I wear and I think they are like 30" body length whereas most are between 32.5" to 33". Thats important, especially after wash shrinking.

Also sleeve lengths and neck hole openings are always key to look at. An 8.5" neck opening on a 2XL is trouble... and if the sleeves are really short thats not good either. At least not for my demographic (which would not be considered 'smedium' wears).

Cygnus 1000 5.8oz is pretty nice but its a 20 singles cotton so its a bit rough for a ringspun. Their thinner slimfit 7000 tee's are nice at 30 singles with a finish on both inside and outside and they have a tear-away tag on either one which is awesome. They have a 7" neck opening on the 7000 which is ok. Perhaps a half inch too tight though? Sleeves are descent. The gripe is in the weight at 4.5oz on the 7000 it feels like a tee made out of panty hoes! Might be good for Cali but East Coast is not to place to rock these thin tees.

I've also tried Canvas which I think is made by Hanes. Again... a great soft comfortable ringspun tee and I think its even 40 singles! But again... super thin at 4.6 or 4.8oz. And the neck on those is horrible wide... I think 8.5" and sleeves are tiny. The Cygnus 7000 style beats these in the thin slimfit category.

I wonder how the Bare Apparel tees compare to these?
Thanks for the suggestion about the size chart. We are actually in the process of doing a custom site and will make that more prominent.

Taking a look at the type of shirt you are looking for, our 2X is a fine weave- a 30/s, 4.5 oz. It's a vintage weight shirt, and it's combed ringspun, not just ringspun. It may be a little too light weight for you, if the 4.6 or 4.7 was not to your preference. But, everyone has a different way of assessing how shirts feel to them. You'll think it's soft though! :)

Our neck widths are not on our site, so I will just tell you that the 2X has a 7 1/4 neck width.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took a look at your website but there is no sleeve lengths and no 2xl on the ones I looked at? A full graded spec with collar trim width, arm opening, stitching type for neck hem like over or under, all that stuff would really be helpful to your potential customers. You know, just like what you would send to a mfg. The details help make the sale.

I'm not too fond of lightweight tees myself but I do use them for particular clients. Its a niche preference but not for everyone.

They make great pj tops though! :)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
What "style" t-shirt are you looking for? Lighter weight fashion type or heavier weight t-shirts? Your list has both and some don't really compare to the others (as in they may not be in the same market).

Like Pacific Sports and M & O are 2 totally different tees.

The Alstyle 1701 and the M & O are more comparable.

I've never tried the cygnus tee but I would say:

In the "lightweight fashion slimmer cut range" I would say the Alternative Apparel AA05 - 4, Pacific Sports ESW 4, BareApparel 4, then the AA 2001 3.5.

In the "other" range I would say Alstyle 1701 4, M & O 4.1 (because of the competitive price). I also felt a Men's ringspun tee by Monag last week that I would put in the 4+ range. I would also put the Jerzees 18z in the 4+ range of the "other" more heavyweight tees with a more relaxed cut.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Monag... I can't say I am familiar with that brand? Do you have a web link by any chance to their site? How do the size specs measure up?

A 5oz or above soft touch ringspun tee with a normal cut and descent body length. Not smedium fitting... and the neck can't be too wide.

Tagless is always a plus.

If the M & O is comparable to 1701 then that sounds like a winner because the M&O is really soft premium stuff. Sonoma at Khols uses M & O btw and so does their (M&O) Tony Hawk line... so if thats the type of tee and it matches the 1701 cut then that is great!

Curious why Pacific and M&O are different? I thought they matched up similarly? No?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What "style" t-shirt are you looking for? Lighter weight fashion type or heavier weight t-shirts? Your list has both and some don't really compare to the others (as in they may not be in the same market).

Like Pacific Sports and M & O are 2 totally different tees.

The Alstyle 1701 and the M & O are more comparable.

I've never tried the cygnus tee but I would say:

In the "lightweight fashion slimmer cut range" I would say the Alternative Apparel AA05 - 4, Pacific Sports ESW 4, BareApparel 4, then the AA 2001 3.5.

In the "other" range I would say Alstyle 1701 4, M & O 4.1 (because of the competitive price). I also felt a Men's ringspun tee by Monag last week that I would put in the 4+ range. I would also put the Jerzees 18z in the 4+ range of the "other" more heavyweight tees with a more relaxed cut.
hi rodney, is there a very good alternative penny-wise to the AA 2001 Fine Jersey Short Sleeve T-Shirt.

Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll co-sign. The Anvil 980 is a GREAT thin soft comparison to AA and its is cheaper. I like it better actually its slightly longer in the fit length too and shrinks up nicely after a wash to an ideal length unlike the shorter length competition.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts