T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say you ordered a bunch of transfers, preprinted from your files, from a person who did not seem like a thief. And no matter what you did, the transfers came out looking like hell. They wouldn't peel, they were faded, they were itchy, the colors were awful. And the person who sold them to you insisted that you were "doin' somethin' wrong", repeatedly sending you--via email--"perfect" specimens he or she was able to produce using the instructions he or she gave you, with almost identical equipment. Could it be said that this person was a liar and a thief, or is there a huge miscommunication occurring? Other papers--JPSS, Everlast, Coastal, Red Grid, etc.--have consistently produced good to excellent transfers with little effort. What could the trouble be?

This person sold you what he or she called CLC transfers, telling you, the rube, they were "state of the art". You do not know how much truth there is to this statement, and are keen to hear the facts and chalk up the whole mess to a cosmic whoops, rather than believe someone could be so dishonest and evil.

The Paper: One Step Heat Transfer paper for lights. At first. Then we were presented with…

The Paper, Part Deux: Brand X, plain white, no logos, nothing at all on back. On front, thin strip of fuzzy stuff running along one short end. Always a sure sign of quality?

Both papers: Not at all in any way similar in feel and appearance to other papers used; sickly semi-gloss, flimsy "body". In short, junk.

I believe the original instructions were something like 325 at 12-15 seconds, heavy pressure, but don't quote me. In any event, we went up and down the thermostat, from high to low pressure, from 1 second to half an hour [<--- not actually true] with no luck. I'm not being nitypicky here, this paper is WORTHLESS.

Unless, as [redacted] told us, we were "doin' somethin' wrong."

Holmes?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Is your press good quality? I dont know why you would outsource it if you have your own printer, Im not familiar with clc brand but I have tried papers from Conde,Staples and paropy from joto and they all transferred well, The Avery from staples is crap tho'.
Could be crap or old paper he's selling you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your press good quality? I dont know why you would outsource it if you have your own printer, Im not familiar with clc brand but I have tried papers from Conde,Staples and paropy from joto and they all transferred well, The Avery from staples is crap tho'.
Could be crap or old paper he's selling you.
We didn't have our printer yet at the time (this was about six months ago), and we had bought our press from the same vendor a while back, so we assumed we were dealing with quality. He kept pushing to have us let him print our transfers for us rather than us "splurging" on a printer (the best $150 I've spent in my life, btw). The press is a Power Pro Black Max, and does a terrific job on all the other paper I've tried. The CLC stands for "color laser copier". The brand is OneStep, or 1Step, actually (spelled it wrong in the first post). Googling it brought me lots of products called 1Step but no paper. Floor wax is big with the 1Step crowd.

I suspect the paper is old, too. There has to be some explanation, and he never seemed like a bad guy at all. Struck me as very down to earth and trustworthy, as a matter of fact. But something is rotten in Oslo, as my grandmother might say…

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's interesting--I don't see 1Step in their catalog, but I did see TransJet II, which was an earlier paper this same person sold us a while back. It prints up nice, irons nice, and then… you wash it. It's garbage.

I think we have ourselves a Garbageman. Maybe not a thief, but definitely a garbageman. Last night I tried a few more strategies with that CLC stuff because I have SO MANY of the darned things it makes me feel guilty about the trees that had to die. If I could get one lousy sheet of the stuff to print up nice, I'd sleep better.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Of the papers that we sell, "CLC" refers to Color Laser Copier paper.

If you run this type of paper through an inkjet printer, the results would not be very good.

Just a thought.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of the papers that we sell, "CLC" refers to Color Laser Copier paper.

If you run this type of paper through an inkjet printer, the results would not be very good.

Just a thought.....
I should think not. Just to clarify, the paper I got was preprinted with my artwork, presumably using a laser printer, though something about its appearance makes me wonder if it isn't some sort of dye-sub print. It's very strange looking, in any case. And further efforts to get a good press print from it were a major fail.

I suspect the guy is maybe just a crook. :( I wonder what would happen if I posted his full name here? ;)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Will they refund your money if you send the transfers back?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will they refund your money if you send the transfers back?
We've asked for a refund several times (after asking for help with the transfers several times), and were met with silence. We just sent them a notice of our intention to sue. Probably won't hear back, but at least it will irritate him/them (no idea how many people are running that place). The "partner" refused to discuss any of it over the phone (amazingly, this guy had--oh, darn!--just left for the day no matter what time we called!), saying it was the other guy's problem. What a terrific partnership!

Bleah. :mad:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Did you pay with a Credit Card?
If so, maybe you might try filing a complaint and stop payment?

Reactions: Ingridlaughs

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you pay with a Credit Card?
If so, maybe you might try filing a complaint and stop payment?
Hmm, my husband handled that part, so I don't know, but I would assume we did. Thing is, the purchase was many months ago. I don't know how that sort of thing works, but I'll find out. (I know, I'm such a lame-o with finances.) Thanks for pointing it out! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts