T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,957 Posts
CoolHandLuke said:
Hmmm… books seem to be all text and get a copyright?

I have many registered trademarked slogans?

What are you guys preaching?
I'm not preaching, only trying to help others with what I know to be fact! She asked if she could COPYRIGHT a slogan on a t-shirt. I said no. This is why:

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?
Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

This is straight from the U.S. Copyright Office website here:
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html#what_protect

If you want to call them and tell them they are wrong, be my guest.

You speak of books being text and copyrighted. She didn't ask about a book. She asked about text as a slogan.

I'd be interested to know what your trademarked slogans are...how about you share?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
You can trademark a slogan as long as you can prove that slogan is also a "Brand".

·
2,957 Posts
This is very true, but, also extremely difficult. Normally you have to show "over time" that a particular slogan has become your brand.

Especially in instances of someone wanting to attach slogan to a t-shirt, unless again it is part of your brand, it is almost impossible. So the claim of MANY registered slogans seems to be a little far fetched, and I would LOVE to see what these "registered" slogans are!

·
2,957 Posts
This may very well be possible. It could also be possible that the text portion (depending upon what it is) not be protected by copyright, but the design be protected. Sounds like a lawyer question to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank Guys

I wanted to know if it's worth trying to spend money on copyright know that someone will eventually still it anyway. What if I had my own design with the text. Would I just copyright/trademark the design and not the text?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
PATRICELEE said:
I wanted to know if it's worth trying to spend money on copyright know that someone will eventually still it anyway.

That's something only you can decide.

If you don't plan on spending time/money to protect your trademark or copyright, then it may not be worth it for you to register it in the first place if you don't plan on (or don't have the means to) defend it.

What if I had my own design with the text. Would I just copyright/trademark the design and not the text?
Well copyright and trademark are two very different things. Be sure to read up on which is which.

You can copyright a design and that design can include text. But you would need to talk with a copyright or trademark attorney to get the details on how much protection that would give you.

Some people register copyrights of each design that they create. Some people don't register a copyright at all and just focus on creating sales.

Both ways can work :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
It’s nice reading this one because everyone is right… in a way, and everyone is wrong… in a way.

It’s a fine line between intellectual property, style, first in use, and legal. But no matter what, take the right steps and you can ® or TM a lot of things people will tell you… “no way!”

It’s also one of the most important areas to know in “branding”! Bar none! If it’s a brand you’re trying to create… then Branding 101 is a must!

Unfortunately, there is no such course! But if there was… what would it be worth?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts