T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and read through the FAQ but couldn't find what I was looking for. Ive been googling for hours with no results. I just need to know

What is the correct font size to use?

I know the dimensions of the design are 2000 x 2000 with a dpi of 300. If I'm putting diamonds on my shirt should I put the whole shape on the entire page?

Is there any video tuts on every process from idea to screen print? I search youtube and google and found nothing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for my font size question I'm saying should the design template have one word per file? I'm just kind of confused about it

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean. Put it all together (all the words, and in the order you want)

For example:

Crystal's Diamond Design

or

Crystal's
Diamond
Design

or

Crystal's
Diamond Design​

Then make it the size you need allowing room for the diamonds where you want them, then use that for your template to put on the shirts. I don't think it's so much the font size you need to be worried about so much as the *overall* size of what you're going to be putting on the shirts. I hope this helps, if it doesn't then please clarify anything I may have misunderstood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if I wanted to make a shirt with just text on it that would go down the entire shirt how exactly would I go about gettign that done with size of text, if the text should be all in one file or what. Are there any beginners tuts on here or anywhere that would take me from havign a design in mind all the way to puttign it on the shirt?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok, you take all the text you want, size it proportionally (some words bigger or smaller to fit, how you see appropriate) One single file, k? and you get it all put together to where it looks really really good! Then you take the shirt you're going to be putting it on, and you measure how tall and how wide you roughly want all of the text to be, then in your program set that

Crystal's
Diamond
Design
or whatever

and set it at lets say 18 inches tall and 13 inches wide.

Voila, you have the text as tall and as wide as you need it to cover your shirt.

Still I don't know exactly what you mean, I'm just doing the best I can with what you've told me, and finding a tutorial for you is tough unless I know exactly what you're trying to do, sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In a perfect world the tutorial would be

1) Dimensions of your design template. Text, Document Size, etc.

2) Cheap alternatives to expensive screen printing equipment.

3) Is 8.5 by 11 the biggest youll be able to do?

etc

·
Registered
61 Posts
1) Dimensions of your design template. Text, Document Size, etc.

The font size does not matter! Period! It's the overall size of the font not size 10,11,12,13 font it's the 11 inches wide 2 inches tall that matters! Document size doesn't matter! What matters is the space that you're using!

2) Cheap alternatives to expensive screen printing equipment.

A sharpie pen! Some of the cheap stuff you buy at office max you print out of your printer and iron on! If you are serious about getting into this business you have to put some money into it. If it was really cheap and easy everyone would be doing it. So it's either screen printing or a vinyl cutter for you. Sorry.

3) Is 8.5 by 11 the biggest youll be able to do?

If that is the size you are limited to with your setup then yes it is. If you have to you can separate the text or whatever you need between two, three or even four 8.5 by 11's to get the amount of coverage you need.

There's your tutorial and I apologize that it isn't a perfect world.

I don't think I can be of any more help to you, I'll let someone else take over. Have a good night.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Well if I wanted to make a shirt with just text on it that would go down the entire shirt how exactly would I go about gettign that done with size of text, if the text should be all in one file or what. Are there any beginners tuts on here or anywhere that would take me from havign a design in mind all the way to puttign it on the shirt?
Would it be possible to give some sort of example of the design you're working with? Vertical, horizontal, how many words involved? That will determine the font size, or overall dimension you need to cover the usable space.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't trying to be rude Cereal.

Say if the shirt said something like

Chicks Dig

Guys Who

Wear Shirts

Like This

^ is just a hypothetical example. Is there any kind of video series with a complete guide to this? I really want to learn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've searched and searched everywhere and all I have found is tuts on how to put art onto a tshirt template. I know how to drag art onto another file. What I want is some instructions about how big everything should be for it to look right on a t-shirt.

Tell me what you do from the moment you have an idea of a design in your mind to putting it in photoshop and etc. That is what I'm askign

·
Registered
193 Posts
grittycereal has already answered all of those questions as good as they can be answered. Placement and size is completely your choice (outside of general guidelines here and there!).

For us, we place where it will look best, as in not too far down so it gets tucked in, and no less than 3" down from the collar. Size, again, big enough to be read easily -- depends on the size -- but small enough that it doesn't "wrap" around the body too much. Of course, that's mostly just common sense, but - again! - it just depends on everything: type of design, whether it should be bold or not-so-bold, if it would look best centered on the shirt or wrap around the side, etc. There's so many options and variables. (okay, for one humble suggestion, we usually don't go wider than 10 - 11" on any design for a shirtback, and for height - though we don't generally do tall designs - could go around 18", maybe more)

On cheaper-than-screenprinting equipment -- DTG hasn't been mentioned! DIY DTG that is ;). We've been using that and has worked well, but best for smaller quantities.

For my simple designs, an idea would start with whatever I have available, if I have to take an image and vectorize/mask it or take existing vectors and work on them, play with placement, etc. Not sure exactly what you were asking on that.

Just my humble $.02.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you designconcepts.

I do realize that 13" by 18" is rather huge but it was to make the point that it is all dependent on the size of his/her choosing, which you have illustrated better than I have.

Also I never knew DTG could be so cheap, with a jerry-rigged setup, I'm gonna look into it right now.

Edit:

Hell yeah, learn somethin new every day. Could you reference me with the tutorial that attracted you that works so well?

Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts