T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my hands on a new pretreatment that is about to be released. I have started tested all aspects of the pretreat and hopefully be able to post some definitive results soon. But what is it all about. Well it claims to increase washability by 50%, Plus be easier to use. In that respect it is referring to the fact that it is more tolerable of the amount sprayed on the shirt.
What do I know so far. It definitely increases washability, how much? Not sure yet but so far I would have to say a 50% increase is conservative with closer to 100% increase, but have not got there yet.
With the classic pretreatment you start to see significant loss at around 16-20 washes. With this at that point it still looks great. Seems much less sensitive to a little to little or a little to much sprayed on the shirt making it less sensitive to inconsistencies of a pretreat machine due to some nozzle clogging or wear and tear. Also in the past I have talked about hang drying to prevent pretreatment failure and increasing the tolerability of the pretreat. With this one press drying appears to be just fine and probably should be. This is just a first look at what appears to be an amazing new product that, if test continue well, will increase productivity and make your shirts much more durable, a problem we have all encountered way to often in the dtg world. Here is the website that just went on line and I expect a lot more info to be released via the media very soon.
Image Armor Pretreatment for DTG inks, Let you know what I find out soon. This is like christmas coming early.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should be released later this week. Did you check out the website?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it appears that a heavier coat is better but really not required. So far it just means you can overdo it a bit without everything flaking off.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorta thought so but a lot of people may not understand it as a joke. Thanks for clearing that up. Good printing!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Spidey brother, I plan on doing the G2000 later this week. To see just that. I tend to agree with Eric though. Hard to turn a sows ear into a silk purse! Also I have been using 18-25 grams with good results, I have never been able to get reliable results with dupont below 15, and that's on a great quality shirt. So far this pretreat is great, I might use a little more but I have far less problems.

Reactions: 23spiderman

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No did not get to the Gildan on Friday, had some orders to get out. My reason to check the Gildan was to see how it worked on a poor quality shirt, some people still print on them, just trying to get the entire spectrum. But I agree with Eric on their quality.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You are correct. I don't use them either, just testing the whole spectrum looking for the edge of the envelope! Besides I have a pile of them I use for print cut heat press. What is your sweet spot so far on say a tight ring spun, 18-20 grams?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
No, could not get away with less than 15. I think u have the magic touch! With IA it seems, when in doubt use more. I have one at 32 grams that has not failed after 8 washes, if I put that much of dupont on it would have peeled off by 3-5. I am happy to trade a little more pretreat for a much better print that last. When you get an order back because of failure it quickly pays for itself! Not to mention the customers who do not return they shirt, the just don't return!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Jeff, the thing about Image Armor is so far it not only washes better, but is very forgiving. Only time will tell for sure but so far. BTW the shirt I bought from you still looks great after about 20 washes. I never wash, even in testing, anything in cold water it gets normal cycle with the jeans.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Viper, same guys that make the pretreat machines. Google Image Armor pretreatment!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
What is the price point on this stuff? Viper's regular dark shirt pretreat is already more expensive than the dupont pt that All American sells. I am assuming this will be an even higher price..?
I expect the intro price to be close to AA, everyday price higher than AA but less than most other suppliers, guess we see on 13th.
I suggest trying some on the intro and see how it works. No returns due to wash could be priceless. Ok well worth it anyway.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Talked to the Image Armor folks, sounds like a huge success for the opening day of a great new product. This next year will represent a great leap forward for DTG printing. New pretreat, new printer from Epson and I suspect a few other awesome printers to be released by some of the big players in DTG. For now a near bullet proof pretreat is good for everyone, no matter what printer they use!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ok guys, went to a little extra effort for comparison of Dupont vs Image Armor. The pic below show a shirt that has been pretreated left 2/3 Dupont and right 1/3 Image Armour, MOL. It was printed on a Gildan 2000 shirt, a shirt that I do not like for DTG but was testing to see how it would do. The shirt is pretreated at the same amount per sq inch per product. This is equal to about an 18-20 gram load for an 14x16 inch area. Shirt was dried with the pretreat at 335 deg for 60 seconds and dry. The graphic was printed with a NeoFlex high res mode and the Graphic is a Great Dane stock graphic. Print was cured for 180 sec at 345 degrees med pressure with 2 90 sec splits, releasing steam in between. Ink is Dupont AA carts for NeoFlex.
By putting on the same shirt at same time this elimates many varibles that can affect the print. Same machine, same ink batch, same humidity, same heat press, same temps and pressures. Both new unopened pretreats.
The left is 2/3 and right 1/3 just due to position of template used for pretreat and print on shirt, yes I would have preferred 1/2 and 1/2. These pics are before wash and after 5 hard washes, Normal cycle with jeans, towels etc. No cold water tumble dry. The real deal just like your customer will do regardless of the wash instructions you will give him. Each was 1hour 24 minutes, normal dry cycle.
Check out the red stripe, left vs right side in both before and after wash pic, dupont left, Image Armor right.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
The biggest thing that I see about Image Armor pretreat is that it really has no sweet spot. In the past everyone had to test and test to find the sweet spot for pretreat. Not enough and you got a bad print, easy to see, to much and you got a good print but you only found out that it was to much thru wash testing, or worse and the most common method, customer complaints or returns. If you were lucky, if not, the customer just did not come back, the more likely situation. To much resulting in peeling of the ink from the shirt. With IA you really are hard pressed to get to much, there is no window. You do need to get enough, which is a wet with slight glisten. 18-20 grams for a 14x16 area MOL, or Viper One bed. I currently have one shirt that has 51 grams of pretreat on it! So far looks just like the one with 18. In fact more seems to be better, not 51 thats just a waste. But if you have one shirt with 18, one with 25, and one with 22 you will not be able to tell the difference. Also any reference you may have read in the past to hang drying to get better results does not apply to IA, you should press dry as per the label instructions. This is a totally different formulation and works differently that Dupont or others, so do not think its just a pretty new face in the crowd, it a whole new way of working with pretreat. As stated it is not a magic bullet, I am sure we can find ways to screw up prints but it is as it's name implies, Image Armor provides a Bullet Proof vest for your print. I wanted to add one other thing, while a good shirt still makes a difference I am seeing the the lesser quality shirts, Gildan, benefit greatly from IA, allowing the printer to use a lesser shirt and still get a good lasting print, not as good as the very tight ring spun cottons, plus all indications are so far that the window to 50/50's has opened wide with IA. More on that and poly's. (even 100% poly, even dark poly with white ink) we will see. JMHO

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Peter, you spend a lot of time and money trying to help your customers, trying to help them succeed! I believe this rubs off on your customers and they try to help others succeed, hence the NeoFlex family is not just a BS gimmick name but something real. So when something comes along that looks like it could help all. The Neofamily and followers are the first to try and find out the truth, testing and testing and spreading the word on new and better ways to succeed in business with the NeoFlex. Not only the Neo but DTG printing in general. DTG printing is on the brink of a new dawn, a rebirth with new printers on the horizon, not just epson, new chemicals, new shirts, new ..............

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
There is a lot of talk about weighing shirts etc. In the past this was critical to be sure you got enough but not to much, so you remained in the sweet spot and did not get peeling that is associated with to much pretreat! With Image Armor there does not appear to be "to much"! Just get it wet, if in doubt use more. Brush it as normal and dry a min of 30 sec or until dry. I have shirts ranging from 17 grams to 51 grams, so far all look the same. BTW 51 grams is soaked and running off the shirt, totally saturated, only reason for this is to try and find a failure point, I haven't so far!

Reactions: Brian Walker

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Ok this is a tough one to describe. But all of us have had the issue of other pretreats leaving a white cast to the print area after drying with a heat press. Comes out in the wash but visible after the print and cure. Image Armor does not do that. Even on the shirt with 51 grams the only real visible markings were that left from the heat press, same as with a shirt without any pretreat. Now if you dribble it all over the place and do not heat dry then you may have some visible marks until you wash. But that is not what I am talking about. I am referring to the heat pressed dried/cured area.The pic attached will try to show this, but difficult. Left/bottom 2/3 is Dupont right/top is Image Armor( depending on how your browser opens jpg). I know hard to see in the pic but very visible in person. Just another plus, and the list goes on. IMHO if you have not tried this you are throwing money and time out the window! I just flushed 2 gallons of Dupont down the drain, really I threw it out. You want the Lexus or the Kia, same price your choice. (or cheaper). Once again I test to try to find a failure point, always looking for the bad news. So far the only one failing is me. Have not found 1 yet. The only thing is you may use a little more pretreat per shirt depending on what you were able to do in the past, Eric, but for me it is the same or maybe 2 grams more worst case. What's it worth to not have print failures, for me priceless. Somebody I am sure will find a way to mess up a print, as with anything, but I have not. No this is not a paid promotion. Just passing on the good word. As with anything, if it s**ks I will tell you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Sean you will be happy to hear it really improves print quality on Gildan!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.