T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
definitely interesting. my process is working well right now when printing on Keya shirts. this new pretreat will need to be priced well for me to want to switch as i'm already getting 15-20 washes with no problems. i did subscribe so i can be in the loop. thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
where this comes in handy is once the shirt passes from me to the customer. one issue i've seen is that MY shirt washes and lasts a long time. the same shirt, printed at the same time, same pretreat, etc., in my customer's hand...sometimes doesn't wash as well. since we can't control how each of our customers will launder their items, a more durable pretreat would be great. so far, Keya shirts have tremendously helped this problem.

so to be clear, we now have TWO new pretreat formulas coming out? Viper & Image Armour?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I am so surprise that you were not a one of testers. By my book you will be the top of lists. Your bad Brian.:)
First Gallon is on Peter!
Cheers! Beers are on me always.
PS: See what happens? When you are not around because you are busy? Lol.
no worries! thank you for the kind words. my guess is mainly due to the fact that i don't have a Viper pretreat machine. i still use the Wagner. other than that, i don't know, but it's fine as i've been really busy anyway. i did buy a gallon of Image Armour and i'm excited to put it to good use!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
With IA if you don't press the shirt while still wet it isn't as effective so leaving it to dry over night isn't going to work as well.
this is interesting. i'm all for pressing while the shirt is wet (quicker work flow), but are you saying that the results were different when you let the shirt air-dry as compared to when you pressed right away? i know we are supposed to forget all we know about pretreat (DuPont), but all the reviews and feedback are really impressive, AND they the methods are so different.

i'm just curious as to why the pretreat would be less effective if the shirt air-dried as opposed to pressing while wet.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
zoomed in pictures have proven that brushing (i use a plastic squeegee, like for vinyl) is very effective at flattening the fibers while they are still wet. then the heat press dries the fibers while they are laying down. this provides a much flatter surface, and will yield more consistent results when printing the white underbase. if you heat press without brushing, you are actually crushing the fibers of the shirt. sometimes they can pop back up causing areas of your shirt that won't have a flat white surface for the cmyk to adhere to.

now the visual differences will depend heavily on the quality of shirt being used and how much fibrillation it has. if you are using an enzyme washed shirt, then the brushing step probably isn't near as critical. it only takes a few seconds to do this step, and the consistent quality it gives is more important to me than the few seconds it takes to do this.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
honestly, Brian, after 10 washes that black poly shirt looks GREAT. i mean it is what it is, and what that is, is a huge step forward. i have had some success with DuPont pretreat on Canvas burnouts, so i know it's possible, but then again some 50/50 blends cause the ink to crack and fall off after just couple of washes. i know you are searching for "perfection", but that is already one beautiful shirt...again, considering it's 100% poly.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Btw, to those that wondered can you use a tunnel dryer to cure Image Armor. The answer is YES. Still have to ensure it is dry, and hits 330F. We did this yesterday at a customer facility. Just needed to hit it with the heat press with medium pressure for about 10 seconds prior to printing. We then used a dryer to cure the ink. I must say the final prints were screen printing like quality (high end no flat, smooth surface like you get with heat pressing.)
this is what i've been doing. i still give the shirt 2 hits of 10 seconds each. this greatly speeds up my process and reduces the amount of steam that drips off my press. the only question for me, is whether it's worth the few extra pennies to fire up the oven for this reason alone. but the process itself works great.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
which Port Authority shirt? if it's the 61 or 54, you'll have a harder time getting a good print. it's not the Image Armour, it's the shirt. you need to use a nice tight weave ringspun shirt. Also, are you flattening the fibers while the shirt is still wet? if not, you're just crushing the wet fibers under the heat press instead of drying them while flat.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I use the 61. What t-shirt do you recommend? I am pressing the tee when it is wet from the pretreatment. Should I not be doing this? What is your process?
i recommend Keya, L.A. T, Next Level, Canvas as a start.

i use a plastic squeegee, like what is used to smooth out sign vinyl, to flatten the fibers of the shirt prior to heat pressing. some say this isn't necessary, and while we each cultivate our own techniques, flattening the fibers while wet has vastly improved my ability to get consistently smooth prints. i've seen pictures (under a microscope) of this process and the shirts that were "brushed" while wet, had a much flatter surface as compared to those that were just pressed. using a Wooster paint brush is what is recommended by Justin Walker, and he's quite advanced in the DTG world. i've just always used the squeegee, and AnaJet taught this in their training class back in 2008.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Did a bunch if candy pink. No staining,good white. Did a few heather with no white underbase and has a nice solid color. I feel I do have to use a little more than DuPont but that's fine because easier to work with.
i just did a red Hanes tagless shirt with IA and had zero staining and a very good print considering it wasn't a ringspun shirt. bright white, solid colors, and smooth surface. DuPont pretreat had a tendency to stain reds, oranges, and greens.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
just wanted to give props to the shipping dept at Direct2Shirt.com, which is home to the Image Armour products. i thought i was missing an item, and they immediately offered to ship the item with free shipping...then...within 5 minutes of hanging up the phone, i found the missing item. the way Doug handled my call, even though he wasn't at fault at all, was BEYOND great customer service!

i didn't want to create a new thread, so hopefully this can stay here. Brian Walker is running a great operation and is obviously training his employees to have superior customer service traits.

if you haven't tried Image Armour, YOU are missing out! i have a shirt with well over 20 washes, and the white ink still doesn't have any visible cracking, and there is no loss of color on the areas that have a white underbase. i ordered the light shirt version today.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.