T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect that my digital reading on my heat press is off, on my eBay bought press, yes my eBay bought press. I have my teflon sheet taped to the top of the heating element. Here's my question...what is the best way to get a accurate temp reading using a IR temp gun? Should I aim it at the bare underside of the element minus the teflon sheet? Or can I just aim it at the underside with the telfon sheet attached? I have been trying to get a reading on the actual vinyl after applying it with heat, too much temperature fluctuation to have anything to go on. Any advise sure would help me out. And yes, I am planning on buying a more reputable brand of press in the future. But this is where I am right now at the moment. Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,639 Posts
Yes you would shoot it to to all areas of the bare upper platen. If you keep the sheet on, you will not get true readings. I would do each corner and several spots around the center to also make sure you don't have any cold spots.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I think using a temp gun is good for all press'. I check my press' periodically to assure things are working correctly. I draw a grid ( imaginary in my head) on the platen and check each block for temps. .... JB

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is an IR heat gun & where can it be purchased? I've read that more & more people are checking this because there can be problems with new machines too!! :(
Karen Souza

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I bought mine at harbor frieght tools for $39.95. I know that most auto parts store are now selling them too. I think this is a great to to have around for many different things. I buy and sell many heat press' and I use this to assure they are heating properly and that the thermostat is correct. .... JB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks, I found an Actron IR which is pocket size at Northern Tool for 39.99 (plus whatever shipping they'll hit me with) they seem to have the best price I found on that brand. I should have just asked my husband about it first, He said to me when I asked, "Oh yeah they use them to measure track temperature all the time! Duhhhhhh! Drag racing is his number one favorite thing to do!
Karen

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Curious to know why? What's so unique about a Hix?
The reading was way off so I thought something was wrong with the press. I called HIX and I can't remember who I spoke with now, but he told me that because of the material the platen is made of you can't get an accurate reading with an infrared temp gun. :confused:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The reading was way off so I thought something was wrong with the press. I called HIX and I can't remember who I spoke with now, but he told me that because of the material the platen is made of you can't get an accurate reading with an infrared temp gun. :confused:
Thanks for the info Rhonda, I have a older Hix and use it all the time. I want to investigate this more. If I get more info ,I will post. I have no doubt you were told this, but I want to understand why ? What press do you have? ..... JB

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thanks for the info Rhonda, I have a older Hix and use it all the time. I want to investigate this more. If I get more info ,I will post. I have no doubt you were told this, but I want to understand why ? What press do you have? ..... JB
No problem and it could be just the newer presses he was talking about. I have a Presto 15 that's about 2 years old. If you call HIX tech support you'll probably get the guy I spoke with. I've called a few times and he's always answered the phone ... I think he's the only one there.

P.S. JB, the guy's name is Ray. I posted about it in an old thread so I went back and found it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
On many presses the platen is made from bare metal that is extremely reflective to the IR temp gun. You can get a reasonable reading from a heat platen that is teflon coated or just plain dirty.

There are better ways to do this. I wrote a blog article about this issue here...
Learn All About… Digital Heat Transfer Printing Blog Archive Do You Suffer from BTC (Bad Temperature Control)?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts