T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a client who wants to use moisture wicking shirts. This is my first experience with 100 polyester so I am wary of dye migration. The client wants something with a relatively soft hand, so I plan on testing Premium Plus and Superfilm. My plan is to press both onto the color/brand of shirt I would be using, let it sit for a couple of days, and then wash and dry it 5 or 6 times. Would that be a vigorous enough test, or are there other factors I need to test for?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Liz:

Dye migration is generally a challenge with heat. Too much of it releases the dye in the shirt and it moves up into the image.

Use a lower temp brand, and also watch how you stack the shirts. I recommend a few piles, rather than stacking them up after you've finished with the garment. The material can retain the heat, and stacking them can lead to all sorts of problems. I've seen print runs ruined by throwing them into a box while they were still hot and by the time they made it to the client, the image was affected.

Good luck,

-M

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have a client who wants to use moisture wicking shirts. This is my first experience with 100 polyester so I am wary of dye migration. The client wants something with a relatively soft hand, so I plan on testing Premium Plus and Superfilm. My plan is to press both onto the color/brand of shirt I would be using, let it sit for a couple of days, and then wash and dry it 5 or 6 times. Would that be a vigorous enough test, or are there other factors I need to test for?
After 5 or 6 wash and dry cycles you should see any dye migration that would occur. If it does occur, you can lower your temperature on the Superfilm to 295F and see if that helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Liz:

Dye migration is generally a challenge with heat. Too much of it releases the dye in the shirt and it moves up into the image.

Use a lower temp brand, and also watch how you stack the shirts. I recommend a few piles, rather than stacking them up after you've finished with the garment. The material can retain the heat, and stacking them can lead to all sorts of problems. I've seen print runs ruined by throwing them into a box while they were still hot and by the time they made it to the client, the image was affected.

Good luck,

-M
true, I always had to say that to my employees

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums app - ddante

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have 50x70cm sheets plastisol screen printed with sublock inks, basically the same transfer used from Nike on soccer jerseys sublimated, that one with stripes in particular, I'm Stilscreen vendor.
The white subliflex MR works good, on blue you can also use the normal subliflex, see the Italian national soccer jersey 2012, it's Puma but we supply them with the same product

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums app - ddante

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.