1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.....
Joined the forum yesterday.
Been in Graphic Design for 16 years.
Set up a family company a couple of years ago to produce my own designs to transfer and sublimate onto garments and things. To cut a long story short, it did not work out, so I dropped out.
Now I feel the time is right to have another bash.
The equipment I bought last time around included an Epson 660CX, an Epson 1290, A Transfer Press 16x20" and a Cap Press both from Xpres UK and a Roland CAMM-1 plotter cutter. I retained the Roland and sold the rest to the original company. My biggest gripe at the time was that I felt I was being forced to use Corel Draw - this garment/sign industry seems obsessed with it.
Corel was the first graphics package I ever worked with and it just didn't measue up - in short it was a nightmare.....so I defected to Adobe and now use CS2. I have been told that sign software has now become more Adobe friendly and is able to converse with both Photoshop and Illustrator. This is the first point I want to clarify, as, if it does not, then I'm not ready to give it a go. At present I haven't purchased any equipment, but have set my mind on an Epson 1800 A3 Printer with an ink management system. I hope this will be an improvement on the 1290, as the transfer paper I was using last time had difficulty passing through the printer without snagging up. I may buy a smaller Epson, but I'm not sure that I need one yet. If anyone out there has experience with design software that will talk to Adobe CS2, I would be pleased to hear from you, as it is important to me that I buy a decent product that will add in the plotting/cutting path. I'm up for a transfer press and a cap press - isn't it strange that there isn't a universal machine that will do both jobs?? Or is there one - certainly can't locate one this side of the Atlantic. I like the look of the Hix 400 15x15. It looks robust. Is there any other kit out there that is less labour intensive, with a more rapid output?
Well, I guess that's already too many questions, so until next time, and hoping for a reply - thanks in anticipation
Tel

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hi Terry, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

(if you don't get an answer to your questions in this thread after a couple of days, feel free to start another topic in the other subject specific forums to get help. If you break the questions up into separate posts, it will make them more "digestable" so members will be able to easily read and respond :))

·
Registered
401 Posts
A fellow UKer! Welcome. I also deal with Xpres. Shame your first time around didn't work out but best of luck this time. I don't deal with signage of any kind so not up to speed on the whether you can use PS with it or not.

As for the heat press - cap press combo you can guy combo heat presses that have seperate attachments for caps, mugs and tees.

Here's a google uk search:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=digital+combo&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr=countryUK|countryGB

Xpres might even be able to help you out.

Oh and isn't it a ***** when the transfer paper gets crumpled! I tend to have less jams with my trusty 1520 :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the forums, I'm a little confused. I run both programs and jump from one to the other. Basically Cut Studio prints bitmaps. It cuts vectors. I usually just select all my vectors in Corel, copy them to the clipboard,paste them into Cut Studio,selcect them in Cut Studio, covert them to polylines, break them apart, line them up with the bitmap, and end up with a great .cst for printing transfers. I don't even have to use the import filter. If you can't do this maybe you need a newer version of Cut Studio. Anyway Welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cut Studio????
I haven't heard of this - could you direct me to somewhere I could find more info please?
Thanks
Tel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I'll investigate.
I did try to deal with Best Blanks first time around, a couple of years ago, and they wouldn't ship outside of the USA.
Tel

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If anyone out there has experience with design software that will talk to Adobe CS2, I would be pleased to hear from you, as it is important to me that I buy a decent product that will add in the plotting/cutting path.
The Roland Cut Studio software is CS2 compatible. It offers a plug in for CS2 that basically makes it effortless to output vector graphics directly from Illustrator. If you check out Roland's site, you should be able to find a dealer in your area.

I'm up for a transfer press and a cap press - isn't it strange that there isn't a universal machine that will do both jobs??
There is one thats designed to do both jobs, but it requires interchanging top & bottom platens, which is time consuming, especially when you can get two separate units at basically the same cost. 2 separate units=Simultaneous production whereas 1 Combo unit=downtime
I like the look of the Hix 400 15x15. It looks robust. Is there any other kit out there that is less labour intensive, with a more rapid output?
It depends on your price range, Hix & Stahls Hotronix presses are two manufacturers that are reliable. You might look into an automatic or semi-automatic press if you want to increase output.

Well, I guess that's already too many questions, so until next time, and hoping for a reply - thanks in anticipation.
Never too many questions here:) Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts