T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm a noob both to tshirt making and this forum. I'm having a problem when I use my heat press. The first time it obliterated the shirt, then I read not to use 100% cotton. Next I used 50/50 shirt and the backing material completely melted to the shirt. I'm using thermoflex plus and on their website it says between 340 and 350 degrees for 20 seconds. The first shirt I had it set to 345, then after it burnt the shirt the second time I used 275 degrees for 20 seconds. I am using a teflon sheet also. Am I having a problem with too high a temp or too much time or something else? What are your experiences with thermoflex cause it's eating into my profits with every shirt I ruin. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
1,435 Posts
I bake shirts at 355 degrees fahrenheit for 35+ seconds all the time to heat set Brother's DTG inks and have never burnt a shirt (one got left in for a minute and it was still fine). So I'd be quite a bit wary of what your thermostat is reading on your press if your shirt is actually burnt not just where the vinyl is. You may need to find someone who has, or invest in a temp probe, cause the words you're using makes me believe the press doesn't know how hot it's actually getting.

Haven't used Thermoflex myself, but the heat press vinyls I've used (ecofilm and solution's opaque) usually have a heat setting of around 300 degrees.

· Registered
2,783 Posts
I would check the temp with a different tool. You can get a laser thermometer for under $50. This is a great tool to keep when pressing. 340-350 Should not burn a shirt or melt the backing. Stop using the press until you can check the temp.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm an idiot! I just realized my heat press is in Celsius so the heat setting for 345 degrees farenheit would be 174 celsius. That means i had the temp set at 653 degrees farenheit. no wonder why my shirts were burning. This is a good tip for all noobs, make sure the heat is measured in the correct units!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.