T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am just getting started, very small scale. I have an online entertainment product and I'm just opening my store to fans.

So my question. 6.1 or 5.5 oz?

Now I have a 6.1 oz. shirt, mighty fine. The question I have, is how does a 5.5 compare? Would it be too light to the point where it would seem like a "cheap" t-shirt or undershirt? Is it the kind of thing where people would say, "oh, this guy is just selling me an undershirt with something printed on it?"

I want to sell a quality product, because I care about my fans, but if 5.5 is still standard, still good, then I have no problem. I'm afraid I just don't know yet.

The shirts will be white (with print), if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

· Registered
56 Posts
I agree, you're safer off going with the 6.1oz. Quite frankly, it really depends on the fabric blend content. I've seen rather durable 4.5oz fabric blends like cotton/cool max. So if you're buying typical 100% combed cotton blank shirts, go with 6.1oz. If it's a blend, I'd recommend getting some samples before you buy.

· Registered
74 Posts
I think that young t-shirt consumers are split about 50/50 on this one.

The hip-hop crowd seems to prefer and value baggier, heavier shirts and think, as you mentioned, that a thin shirt feels cheap.

At the same time sheer ringspun shirts are the norm for high fashion these days. Stop by banana, gap, AE, etc next time you're at the mall and i bet you'd have a hard time finding a heavy cotton tee shirt. Finely spun tees cost more but they can fetch a higher retail price.

I'd say that compromising with the 5.5 is not the answer here - neither group will be happy - nobody likes a thin feeling "normal" cotton tee.

From what I understand, that 5.5 oz. of cotton is literally 5.5 oz. of cotton whether the shirt is size small or xl. That means that per square inch the cotton is heavier on the smaller sizes and lighter on the bigger sizes. I don't know if every manufacturer does it like this, but I have certainly encountered it first hand in my shop (Fruit of the loom comes to mind). Smalls look nice, but the l's xl's look like undershirts. This size/loft variation is less noticeable on the 6.1s, especially white and lighter colors.

If you have to pick one, go with the 6.1 but also consider selling a fitted ringspun version for a few dollars more. Especially for the girls.

· Registered
737 Posts
If you're talking men's shirts, I say go with the 6.1 oz shirt. People will feel that it's a quality shirt that was worthy of the cost.

Women's styles are a differnt animal though, and it really depends on the style. If a shirt is a girly style, you can go with a heavier shirt. However if it's really just a modified cut of a men's tee, then I would go with a lighter weight simply because it makes the shirt a little more feminine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.