T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the look of a hand drawn sketch with shading onto a shirt? I want it to kind of have that tattoo feel. Are there any classes or forums I can go to learn how to do this? I attached a sample of what look I am trying to go for.
[media]http://tfgclothing.com/mikes_Uploads/image1.jpg[/media]

· Registered
116 Posts
I wouldn't personally call this a tattoo look, rather than a nice sketch. A tattoo pretty much is a sketch because using only one color (back in the day), you could either do simple shapes (like they do tribal ornaments today) or outlines + shades, which add much more detail and depth to the sketch. So check out some books on detailed sketching.
If you want to do this digitally, it actually isn't very hard. It would be made of many vector shapes with outlines and using gradients and shade effects. You could also use various brush styles for the outlines to give them a pencil-drawn look.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fidel I will see what I can come up with. Now if I was to draw it out on paper scan it in then whats the best way to get it set up to print on a shirt? Side note what about more then one color like this? Do you know how to seperate the colors to beable to burn each screen color for printing on the shirt? I am trying to find like a tutorial or some thing showing me if possible.

Thanks again

[media]http://tfgclothing.com/mikes_Uploads/image4.jpg[/media]
[media]http://tfgclothing.com/mikes_Uploads/image2.jpg[/media]

· Registered
3,506 Posts
to do this digitally you will have to learn graphics arts software. illustrator or coreldraw = vector programs. photoshop = raster program. the images you posted were done (on computer) by someone with years of experience. you can sketch out a design on paper and scan it into your computer but you then have to redraw it in one of those programs.

· Registered
109 Posts
Probably the best way to start would be to draw your image as large as you want it, then scan it in at 300 dpi, black and white. If you don't have illustrator, I think there are a few free programs that will let you do what I'm about to tell you to do. Open the image in illustrator, cluck on the image, and select live trace. Use the dialogue options menu to adjust the threshold until it looks about right. For an image that you drew, you may want to adjust the minimum pixels to around 90-100. The other options might need slight adjusting as well. Once you get it looking like you want it and select ok, be sure to click the button to release it to paths. I don't remember what it's called, i just know it's at the top menu bar. You with then see many, many dots and lines. That's the vector of your hand drawn image. colorizing it will be pretty much a game from there. Selecting different parts then clicking on the color swatch you want to use, and playing with different gradients and styles, etc. I think it's fun, but I do this everyday, lol! If you start with something small, it will be easier to get the hang of everything. If you start with too much detail, the task will seem quite daunting a t first so try not to overwhelm yourself! If you iave any questions along the way, feel free to ask!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.