T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am new to this website and relatively new to the t-shirt industry. I am looking to start a t-shirt company based on a brand name that I have created. I will be looking to sell my shirts and eventually socks to Outdoor Specialty Stores such as (Dick's, Bass Pro shops etc, along with small local retailers). Has anyone here tried anything like this or any advice you can give me on starting off? How hard is it to have a small local shop or even a large company like ***** carry your brand of clothing when its printed on an outsourced t-shirt such as Gildan. I have a lot of things to learn and research to be done, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Have a little patience waiting for a response buddy; 6 hours barely gives anyone time to reply =)

I haven't sold to any shops yet personally, but there has been some discussion about it already... try searching for some previous threads about retail shops.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Selling your shirts to major companies like those mentioned will be very hard, to impossible. You may be able to sell to small specialty stores, if your designs are good. I sell to a bunch of shirts to small artsy stores. For me though, the stores contact me at this point. I have never advertised my products to a store. If you are looking to advertise, I would reccomend going to your local artsy town, and going door to door, and talking to the owners. Perhaps you could give them a few shirts to try and sell first before making a commitment to buy in bulk. These small shop owners tend to love the personal aspect of business.

The alternative would be printing a catolog and doing a mass mailing, but I dont think that you would make your money back, unless your product is incredibly amazing and unique.

When it comes to big stores like *****, they dont care about you or the personal aspect of business. They want to make money. Period! You will have to sell the shirts to them for very low...probably around $3.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice twinge and jdr, what about trade shows, how effective are they? Also as my shirts are guided towards outdoor sports would setting up booths at places like the X-Games be something worth my time, has anyone tried that before?

·
Registered
140 Posts
A booth at the X games would be expensive but i'm sure there are other sporting/outdoor events that you can attend. Try looking for some of those as a start. The thing about marketing is trial and error. Something that works for another member may not work for you and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to find out what are attended by the buyers that work for the stores you want to get into.

There must be some type of Outdoors/Sports tradeshows, and I know there is a sportswear tradeshow here on the west coast every year (ASI show). If you want to go wholesale, that is probably the way to go.

You could always go right into the store that you want your products in and start asking questions to the manager. Ask him how the buying process works. You could research the company via their corporate website (if they have one).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the advice. Rodney, I have seen some stuff about the ASI show. The company I work for right now takes their products to it. After some research on the web I finally found a Outdoor Retail trade show. I am actually going to start a new thread to see if anyone has been to the trade show.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm interested in doing something similar as well but my areas would be scuba diving, martial arts and skiing/snowboarding. Have you come up with wholesale pricing yet? I'm trying to determine what is the average wholesale price as a percentage of suggested retail price. If you get a handle on this, I would appreciate it if you can share that with me too. Thanks

Clint

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clint,
No I have not come up with the wholesale pricing yet. I am actually meeting with the President of the company whom I hope to manufacture my shirts this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts