T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This one is really baffling me. I had a largish order from a friendly lady but she is saying that the transfers have come off in the wash. She has ordered 5 in total. 3 for her family and 2 for her son. She says that the 2 for her son has come off in the wash eventhough she washed them on a gentle wash and inside out.

The thing is that I have made hundreds of t-shirts if not in the thousand yet and no one else but 1 person has ever complained about this. The other person who has admitted that they used a detergent in the was and that the second short that was washed seprately without detergents didnt come off at all.

Is there a way of telling if there was any bleaches or detergents used that would have caused this. Also, would there be a reason why this would happen. I use Jet Stream transfers for both light and dark presses and these sellers are good as they also sell authorised SawGrass ink.

Plus, I have made shirts for my family and not one of them have faded or peeled away.

This has got me wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance
Paulo

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add, I have made shorts for a guy at work which is really fussy and hard to please and he is well pleased with his shirts and makes a point that they all look as good after a wash as the day he got them. Plus I have also used flex on the shorts that have been said to come off, however, this guy has never had the problem.

Paulo

· Registered
4,432 Posts
I would ask if you pre pressed the shirts to get out the moisture out bfore you press the transfer. I also wonder did you repress to assure garment got enough heat to set the ink in the fiber of the garment. If all thi was done, I would then wonder if this is the same batch of paer for this order as the others. .... JB

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I always prepress, press and then repress. The paper has always been the same although I know that you can get an odd batch but why would it only affect 1 person. I am sure that it was that way it was washed but I dont want to assume that unless I am pretty sure.

· Registered
4,432 Posts
the bottom line is either way to protect your name, you will nee to remake the garments. I would include laundry insructions. You could be 100 % right about it being a customer error, but we both know this will not be a acceptable answer. ... JB

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, you are right. I have lready offered them to return the garments and I will remake them. At the same time I will look at another brand of paper. Do you know of any good ones in the UK or that are also sold in the UK?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After all that it was not the transfer that was the problem but the flex that came off. I done it at the set temperature of 140oc and 14 seconds also I found that it needed a slightly higher temp and a couple of seconds longer.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WRONG!

I thought I understood the problem but the shirts have arrived today and it has really blown my mind. The transfer isnt coming off, it looks like it was stuck into a tumble dryer on high as there seems to be brown burn marks all over the transfers plus all the white on the dark transfer is grey, the transfer is peeling off like ash and the flex is peeling away like tape.

It looks to me as if they misused it and tried to clean it up with a good wash, some deteregents and maybe an anticrease ball and then stuck it into a tumble drier.

I have made over a thousand in the last 4 months and a fair few for my kids. I keep moaning at my wife to not wash them at 40oc but they have never come out like this. Has anyone experienced anything likw this? This is the picture they sent me, you cant see the image clearly but you can imagine how it was (bright and strong colours), looks even worse in life.

Any tips or advice?

Thanks
Paulo

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi. Am I right in assuming the missing letters are vinyl and the picture is on an opaque transfer for darks?
Hi,

Yes this is the case. Made loads of flex presses and none of them have ever come off, especially after the first wash.

Paulo

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Without being prejudiced, that looks like a major piece of customer abuse. I get the feeling that they have probably attempted to iron directly over the transfers and the flex. Both flex and transfers will survive trips through hot tumble dryers without that sort of damge.

The only other variable, is that the temperature on your press is not hot enough (irrespective of the reading). I'd be inclined to put some scrap samples of flex on an old tee and zap if through the washer and dryer, just to make hundred percent sure.

· Registered
163 Posts
I have to agree with will on this one Paulo m8.
I`ve only been doing T`s since the begining of this year but i have now up to date probs done about 3000 + and geting orders all the time.
Its very inportent that you keep your good name, as it`s what will help you sell your craft and keep customers coming back again and again.
But even thoe this is a wash issue and not your fault, as i have had only 3 T`s come back to me and one was just as you mentioned.
I used T-shirt vinyl and glitter on the one i had back, and you could tell they used some very strong detergian and then tryed ironing it which they were told not to do prior to buying via a small note in the sale packaging.
I myself replaced the T`s that did go wrong but also mentioned to the customers that they have to be carefull when washing and not to iron unless something was layed over the top of the item first.
But as you will be aware in the UK now most people use the self ready ironed dryers, as i do my self, and i have done many many washes and such and not had any issues and i have washed up to 40 on the heat cycle in washing machine.

On the topic of the JPSS i hope it is solde in the UK very soon as i`m looking at geting a lot of this because of the good results and feedback on it.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
On the topic of the JPSS i hope it is solde in the UK very soon as i`m looking at geting a lot of this because of the good results and feedback on it.
I got some A4 samples of this today as well as the Jetwear for Darks (Alpha Gold). I intend to give it a hammering through lots of wash cycles and multiple trips through the hot dryer to see just how well it stands up. :)

· Registered
163 Posts
I got some A4 samples of this today as well as the Jetwear for Darks (Alpha Gold). I intend to give it a hammering through lots of wash cycles and multiple trips through the hot dryer to see just how well it stands up.
Dont want to hijack this tread, but did you get it from the UK will ?
If you did i would be very greatfull for the addy and were ect as would like to get some of both which you mention.
Keep us posted please as to what your tests come up with as i always find such posts very informative and greatfull ;)

· Registered
1,546 Posts
Dont want to hijack this tread, but did you get it from the UK will ?
If you did i would be very greatfull for the addy and were ect as would like to get some of both which you mention.
Keep us posted please as to what your tests come up with as i always find such posts very informative and greatfull ;)
Personal import, as nobody selling it in UK at moment. Once you buy in quantity you need to make it worth your while, as typical freight charge from the states is around £40 a parcel. On anything other than a few samples, you also have vat, import duty and a customs processing fee to go on top. To get in European 'A' sizes you typically need to purchase in quantities of 500.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.