T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If a shirt was made in India, imported to the U.S. and I purchase it from a distributor in the U.S., can you retag it to say “Embellished in U.S.A.?” Or, would my tag have to say “Made In India.” I heard that “Made In India” is only required when the t-shirt comes over from India to the U.S. for import and tax laws.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
It's not just for import and tax reasons that country of origin has to be accurate, it's also for consumer information and protection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What if the company of the blank shirt imports it from different countries like, Peru, Chiina etc etc? i wouldn't know the origin of the shirts until I get the actual ones they ship for retagging. I would like to have a screen print care label. What do i do?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
What if the company of the blank shirt imports it from different countries like, Peru, Chiina etc etc? i wouldn't know the origin of the shirts until I get the actual ones they ship for retagging. I would like to have a screen print care label. What do i do?
Either use a different company that sources from one country only, or find out in advance what the different countries could be and prepare labels accordingly, or don't relabel the shirts, or wait until the shirts arrive and label them accordingly.

They need to be labelled with an accurate country of origin. There is no way around that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No one usually checks, you might get away with it but legally you're required to disclose the country of origin everywhere in the planet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great info, thanks guys. Long time reader first time poster.

After reading the info in this thread I still have a question. When would a company use the phrase I see periodically

"Made in USA with imported fabric"?

Or is that just misinformation that someone wished they could put on the label because it sounds better than "Made in Sri Lanka" or "Made in BFE"?

Like most in here, I buy imported shirts from a distributor and screen print on them.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,726 Posts
Great info, thanks guys. Long time reader first time poster.

After reading the info in this thread I still have a question. When would a company use the phrase I see periodically

"Made in USA with imported fabric"?

Or is that just misinformation that someone wished they could put on the label because it sounds better than "Made in Sri Lanka" or "Made in BFE"?

Like most in here, I buy imported shirts from a distributor and screen print on them.

Thanks!
It can say Made in USA of imported fabric only if bolts of imported fabric were cut and sewn together in the U.S.

If you import completed shirts, you cannot legally use this statement; even if you print them in the U.S.

·
Registered
66 Posts
TAGLESS CLOTHING LABEL REQUIREMENTS
These requirements are enforced by the Federal Trade Commission as part of the Textile & Wool Acts
•Company Name, Brand or Logo
•Garment Size
•Type of Material – Fiber Content
•The Country of Origin
•Care Instructions – Use Graphic Symbols or written instructions
•Name of the Company and/or Website
Better to be safe than sorry... If your not sure make a call (877) FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
Speaking from 45+ years of heat transfer decorating experience Good Luck and Keep on Pressing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I get custom shirts made through Alibaba.com, are they required by law to include care label or am I responsible for purchasing at an extra charge?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts