T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I am confused on what type of regular T-shirt (weight, cotton, cotton blend) I should get for embroidery and/or Heat transfer press design. There are so many that I'm not sure which would be best. I don't want to buy too low quality and have them look cheap, but then again, I'm just starting out and have to be competitive. I would prefer to sell quality items since my clientel would be horse people and alpaca breeders.

Also, where can I buy at the best price?

Donna

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have used regular cotton T's for over 13 yrs. with no issue. My favorite shirt is the PC61 from www.sanmar.com . This shirt has great weight and the embroidery stays looking good after washing. ... JB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise. Do you also use this shirt for heat transfer. What is the cost on that shirt?

What type embroidery thread do you use for thicker items. My thread keeps breaking and I have to rethread.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I mostly Gildan Heavy (style 5000) which is a 5.6 oz shirt for printing, although if the customer wants a heavier tee, then I use the Gildan Ultra (style 2000) which is a 6.1 oz tee. I've also used and like the Port Authority tees.

For embroidery, I always use the heavier tee or polo...at least a 6.1 oz. I just never got a good look on a lighter weight tee. Now that doesn't mean that it can't be done...just not by me. I also use a ball point needles for tees.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I agree the heavy tees look best with Embroidery. I also keep designs to left chest ON tees to keep things from losing shape after washing. This keeps your work looking goo and that is your best advertisement. .... JB

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use Gildan 2000's or SanMar PC61 (depends on the size/color I need).

they wear well and wash well.

Not sure where you're located, but I shop at Heritage, SanMar and Broder Bros.

I use Robison Anton for most of my work.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We have started using the Sanmar PC61 exclusively for everything with one exception. The Gildans do offer a larger selection of colors. Other than that, the PC61 is great. The difference in price between it and a lower end is not significant in my opinion. The quality of the garment you use will have a direct effect on if the customer returns or not.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can you all recommend stabilizer and type or size needle to use. I done some t shirts and after washing they did not look good. Please Help.

Carolyn

·
Registered
342 Posts
The stabilizer will depend on the the density of the design. For most designs, I use a no show mesh. I think that it holds up to 12 or 14K stitches. You can use two pieces of it for higher density, or use a heavier stabilizer.

Here is an authority on stabilizers. I think he is distributing through American. Look on his site.

Check here Lebow Consulting

·
Registered
105 Posts
The digitizing of the design is also going to dictate how the final embroidery looks before and after washing. An improperly digitized design will look bad no matter what type of backing or thread is used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts