T-Shirt Forums banner

T Shirt Patents?

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  goodwear 
( I have also heard-it will hold up better in court if it is copyright protected through the government.)
In the US it's actually necessary to register the work in order to start legal proceedings.

If it is left unopened and then opened in court someday it is considered a legal document. They call this a "poor man's patent"
Actually it's called the poor man's copyright myth on account of being a myth. I don't know where you heard it's a way of producing a legal document, but you were misinformed.

I was told to use "Registered Mail to mail it to yourself." A "registered mail" document is a legal record-kept at the post office of that mail item. I guess that's irrelevant if it's a patentable idea, maybe irrelevant for copyright too.
The problem is that doesn't prove you didn't tamper with the envelope. It proves something was sent on that date, and nothing more. Whereas an actual filing puts the actual intellectual property in contention on record.

I went to the "clickandcopyright" site you posted. They talked about hiring print investigators etc. to prove the postmark, if you just mailed it to yourself.
Yeah, that was a bit of a red herring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.