T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say I am selling just (1) T-shirt. I will either use a Kraft large envelope or a poly mailer. Which is better?

Then, I will ship via First Class mail with USPS
so, do I call my package a "Large envelope" or a "package"?

I did some reading and apparently the maximum requirements to be a "large envelope" are 3/4 inch thick.

So, I am wondering what you guys use.

Thanks in advance,
Gregg

·
Registered
508 Posts
Poly Mailer for sure, won't rip as easy and shouldn't let moisture in (although sometimes they do get holes) but overall much better than Kraft Mailer.

Needs to go as 1st Class Parcel not large envelope as it is not machinable (Cant go through the automatic sorter)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I send everything Priority Mail. It's pretty easy if you register on the USPS site -- you tell them the weight and size and then you have shipping choices. Click the one you want and you can print out your postage and it charges your card. You get a small discount if you do your shipping online (and it's faster than going to the PO) and you can get free delivery confirmation.

Of course, I'm only doing small scale business. If I were doing hundreds of orders a day, this might be an overwhelming process....

·
Registered
508 Posts
I send everything Priority Mail. It's pretty easy if you register on the USPS site -- you tell them the weight and size and then you have shipping choices. Click the one you want and you can print out your postage and it charges your card. You get a small discount if you do your shipping online (and it's faster than going to the PO) and you can get free delivery confirmation.

Of course, I'm only doing small scale business. If I were doing hundreds of orders a day, this might be an overwhelming process....
1st class mail is going to save about 1.85 over priority mail, even at 100 pcs a week, that is $185 a week ! That's why I do endicia , can ship by exact weight 1st class mail

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
For large orders, UPS or Fedex. For smaller stuff, I use USPS, ship priority, and use my own boxes, envelopes, etc. I just shipped a 2 lb box for 6. To get the stuff in a box from USPS would have been 10.50. I keep any box that looks like it will be usable for shipping.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For smaller stuff, I use USPS, ship priority, and use my own boxes, envelopes, etc. I just shipped a 2 lb box for 6. To get the stuff in a box from USPS would have been 10.50. I keep any box that looks like it will be usable for shipping.
You can also get non flat rate boxes from the USPS that are typically cheaper for T-shirts than the flat rate ones, like this one (not that reusing boxes isn't a bad idea):

USPS Priority Mail Box O-1092

My local post office has these. :)

I wish I could use Endicia but it's cost per month well exceeds my sales =/ So I would just be losing money.
If you use PayPal there's a back door link that will allow you to ship something first class:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

I only use Priority to ship multiple shirt orders that are cheaper to ship that way. Everything else I ship first class. I haven't noticed a difference in delivery time. Priority is zone-based now, and first class is not, so shipping even 2 shirts Priority can sometimes be more expensive than sending 2 first class packages (depending on how far it is). I always use the USPS postage calculator to figure out what my best option is:

USPS Postage Price Calculator

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The post office has a website. You can go there to get the correct information. I am not sure what is correct. I signed up with them and usually ship Priority. If you do the shipping on line, pay on line, and print out your label, you save a little bit of money vs going to the po, getting a box/envelope, and mailing it from there. You can save even more if you use your own box/envelope. You can also arrange for carrier pickup so you do not even have to go to the PO. You can also get tracking email notification for both you and the person you are shipping to as well as delivery confirmation for nothing extra. I use this all the time. The tracking thing is very handy. Not quite as detailed as FEDEX or UPS.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oh ok, yes.. you can send items under 13 oz which could be one 4x or 5x or two Smalls.

but its wise to see priority envelopes if you are sending more than one..
I have my own poly mailers that I use. I use Priority Mail to ship my items. I also have the flat rate boxes and envelopes for international shipping because you can't use First Class for that either.

The post office has a website. You can go there to get the correct information. I am not sure what is correct. I signed up with them and usually ship Priority. If you do the shipping on line, pay on line, and print out your label, you save a little bit of money vs going to the po, getting a box/envelope, and mailing it from there. You can save even more if you use your own box/envelope. You can also arrange for carrier pickup so you do not even have to go to the PO. You can also get tracking email notification for both you and the person you are shipping to as well as delivery confirmation for nothing extra. I use this all the time. The tracking thing is very handy. Not quite as detailed as FEDEX or UPS.
Doing everything on line with USPS is the easiest/least expensive way to do it. With the carrier pick up you don't have to make trips to the post office. I agree with you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.