T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it interesting that you have to wait at least 2 weeks for your order. Would this print on demand strategy work for me? I only have 20 designs (plus my shirts don't shock the s**t out of people) but it's hard to gauge how many shirts I should have on hand.

a few questions for the pros here:

1) If you keep an inventory, whats an adequate number of shirts to keep on hand?
2) Do you offer your designs on any color tee, or on certain colors only? Would you do better if customers could choose the color tee they wanted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I can't answer you from experience, but here is an educated guess.

2. I would assume that you could potentially do better by offering a selection of colors, but, and this is a huge but, think of how much in assets you would have tied up in t-shirts. Not to mention, what if things go bellyup? What are you going to do with 200+ t-shirts?

Personally, since you are the designer / creator, I would determine what colors your designs take use of most commonly. Pick those specific 3 colors, and just stock those. White, black, and heather are generally good bets!

Good luck!

P.S. - T-shirt hell is doing essentially the same thing. They are limited the amount of their assets tied up in "useless" inventory by telling you it will take 2 weeks. This way they can run a shotty version of "just in time" inventory (their sense of time seems to be a bit skewed though), and only have to print what they sell. This potentially saves them tons of $!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Aye, T-shirt Hell has a decent wait time because they are one of few printers that offer such a massive selection of color/style choices. To avoid having to keep a ton of unsellable stock, they print on demand, but only print after they have enough orders for it to be cost effective.

More common is that stores only offer each design in a few select colors (e.g. Busted Tees) so they can have some ins tock ready to ship. Both methods work and have thier own advantages/disadvantages.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
pukashell said:
I find it interesting that you have to wait at least 2 weeks for your order. Would this print on demand strategy work for me?
I think it partly works for t-shirthell, because they sell a LOT of t-shirts. So when they send the orders to the screen printer, they have a lot of each design to print.

Also, they do a VERY good job of informing the customer before the sale happens. They give them a calendar of when to expect their shirt, etc.

I think a lot of their t-shirts inspire impulse purchases as well, so people don't think too much about buying them.

1) If you keep an inventory, whats an adequate number of shirts to keep on hand?
It depends on the demand for the item. Some shirts I keep 10+ per size, some shirts I only keep 5 or so per size.

2) Do you offer your designs on any color tee, or on certain colors only?
I only offer one color choice. The color I had in mind when I designed the shirt :)

Would you do better if customers could choose the color tee they wanted?
My educated guess is not "enough" better to worry about the hassle of handling inventory of different garment colors along with the size handling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Twinge said:
Aye, T-shirt Hell has a decent wait time because they are one of few printers that offer such a massive selection of color/style choices. To avoid having to keep a ton of unsellable stock, they print on demand, but only print after they have enough orders for it to be cost effective.

More common is that stores only offer each design in a few select colors (e.g. Busted Tees) so they can have some ins tock ready to ship. Both methods work and have thier own advantages/disadvantages.
Imagine if a company offered both methods simultaneously? Stay tuned

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's easy really, I keep it really simple.
I offer 60+ designs, for black shirts only and only 3 styles of shirt, with white ink only.
I keep a dozen of each size on hand, and get the odd ones out when I need them..ie..hoodies, baby doll tees.
My shirt wholesaler is on the other side of town, and Triangle Ink has a location down the strees from where I get my shirts. One stop shop area, then back home to print.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts