T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've just started an account on Cafepress, & I was wondering if it was possible to have an account with Spreadshirts using the same designs? I mean technically I own the designs, it shouldn't be a problem, right? I figure with Cafepress' low base prices & Spreadshirt's variety of shirt styles & colors, one of the shops will get more traffic than the other(hopefully).
Can any more experienced shop-owners shed some light on this for me?

NARC72

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

I'm thinking of setting up a basic shop at cafepress too. I'm wondering besides the layout and design of the site presence, is there any big diff between a premium and basic shop? I mean in terms of traffic flow and exposures gained from the market place.

Narc - How is the sales and traffic at cafepress so far?
loreathan - how long have you been with cafepress?

Thanks for any input in advance

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Yes, it is possible to earn money with CafePress.

The thing to remember is that it's not a way to get "free sales". Not only do you have to create the designs, you have to market them and advertise them. Just like starting any other business.

If you rely on traffic and sales to come from CafePress, you will have a hard time finding success.

I've been using CafePress since 1999 and I've talked to a lot of shopkeepers there. The one thing I can tell you that seperates the success stories from the closed shops is the people that are successful treat cafepress like starting a new business. They promote their shop, they advertise, they link to their shop from an existing website, they drive their own traffic and find creative ways to make sales.

Just my two bits :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
site earch problem

Hi everyone

I have opened my shop in cafepress two weeks ago

www.cafepress.com/cupidcurse

but somehow when I searhed my shop name, my search words and anything about my shop at cafepress searchengine, It does not show any results?I have emailed cafepress twice but no answer.
Any one has an idea why my site or items are not listed there?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Any one has an idea why my site or items are not listed there?
The CafePress search engine is currently in BETA status I believe. They are updating their whole marketplace so that it works better with their new affiliate program.

You can find more information on this in the CafePress Member forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rodney said:
The CafePress search engine is currently in BETA status I believe. They are updating their whole marketplace so that it works better with their new affiliate program.

You can find more information on this in the CafePress Member forums.
Thank you very much for the answer:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just wonder If do we have to be pollyanna to think that someone will see our site at cafepress(by chance because there are thousands of people at that site) and like our t-shirts and buy them?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It depends what size you wish to be and how many sales you'd like to make.

Using cafepress, you're never going to be a threadless. But they are a cheap, and effort-free (compared to other methods) option, however.

The big disadvantages with these fulfillment sites:

1) Not much traffic to individual stores.

2) Transfer prints

3) You have no ability to Q&A you products, impact delivery times etc....you're letting your Customer Service be run by a third party....very dangerous.

4) Outrageous unit price....the current cost of the shirts means your profits are tiny margins. For our company last year, our profit margin is *literally* 500% above Cafepress users....and our shirts are screenprinted....and have a 3-4 day delivery...and run form a unique and well made store...and have an eBay element, increasing our traffic by a magnitude of hundreds...and make weekly sales well into triple figures....and we sell to boutiques at prices you cannot through cafepress.....and have many colours and darks.

The upside is ease and set up cost. The downside is everything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts