T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could any body tell me what these fabric options mean to the quality of the t-shirt ?:confused:
- 100% Cotton 30/1 (Open end)
- 100% Ring spun Cotton 30/1
- 100% Ring spun Cotton 24/1

I would also like to know what weight most street wear brands use like (johnny cupcakes, ilthy) for their t-shirts?:D

· Registered
23 Posts
Open End Spun vs Ring Spun describes how the yarn was spun. Open End yarn is generally faster and cheaper to make, but it is more hairy, uneven, and isn't as strong as Ring Spun yarn. Ring Spun yarn is usually more expensive because of additional processing steps and because the production method is usually slower than OE. But, that gives the Ring Spun fabric a softer more luxurious hand than the OE, as long as they are both plain jersey fabrics.

The 30/1 and 24/1 is the yarn numbering system. The top number refers to the weight of the yarn in terms of length per unit mass. Simply put, the smaller the number, the "fatter" the single strand of yarn. The bigger then number, the "finer" the yarn. The bottom number refers to the fact that the yarn is only one strand. If the yarn was made of 2 strands twisted together, the bottom number would be a 2. Yarns are twisted together to make a stronger end product, but T Shirt yarns are rarely twisted, so the bottom number is usually a 1.

These numbers don't tell you weight of the fabric, though. Weight of the fabric is usually expressed in ounces per yard (oz/yd). Popular weights are 5.4 and 6.1 oz/yard.

So, the 30/1 yarns you mention are a little finer (smaller) than the 24/1 yarns, but I doubt that difference is enough for the end customer to notice. A ring spun T shirt always gives a nice hand and a higher perception of quality, IMO, and a fabric weight of 5.4 or 6.1 oz/yard along with that ring spun 100% cotton will be a great start if you are looking for a nice, high quality T.

Could any body tell me what these fabric options mean to the quality of the t-shirt ?:confused:
- 100% Cotton 30/1 (Open end)
- 100% Ring spun Cotton 30/1
- 100% Ring spun Cotton 24/1

I would also like to know what weight most street wear brands use like (johnny cupcakes, ilthy) for their t-shirts?:D

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michelle, that was great, in reading ur post (hope it doesn't sound to dramatic) but u have giving the answer to a question that I though I wouldn't be able find and if I did I wouldn't be able to understand ....thanks again:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.